Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ movies are positive for audiences

Star Wars
‘Star Wars’

In recent years, opinions have become more divisive than ever. Arguments start, typically, over issues that are important, but it is easy to see divisiveness in other things as well, such as Star Wars.
I could not tell you when I last argued about politics, but within this past week alone, I have had two discussions about Star Wars. The biggest issue that I tend to discuss is whether Disney has ruined Star Wars. Ever since acquiring the rights to Lucasfilm in late 2012, I think Disney has done many great things for Star Wars. Overall, I am happy with the direction they have taken it. 
First and foremost, I am excited that new Star Wars content is being produced. When George Lucas created Star Wars, he created a universe with so many different possibilities and stories to tell. It would be an injustice not to tell them. Disney is a massive company with the funds and resources to do it justice, and I would not want Star Wars to be in any other hands.
Before 2015, the last Star Wars movie, “Revenge of the Sith,” was released in 2005. In the meantime, the only other content produced was the animated television series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.” Since 2015, there have been four movies and three shows released, and there have been tons of books, video games and toys to boot.
There are long term plans in place for Star Wars, as well. According to Megan McCluskey of Time, Disney has a new trilogy planned for the future, as well as two new live-action series detailing characters from the main series. 
However, the massive increase in Star Wars content is not always seen as a good thing. To many, the recent movies of the main saga fell short, and the most recent theatrical release, “Solo,” had a disappointing box office turn out.
The over-saturation of content is seen to many as lazy and greedy, and Disney is aware of this. Following the failure of “Solo,” Disney C.E.O. Bob Iger acknowledged his mistakes and plans to slow production to increase quality, Matthew Belloni of The Hollywood Reporter reports.
For the critics, that is great news. For me, Star Wars has a great deal of nostalgia attached to it, so I have always tended to be a lot more optimistic with the series. I grew up watching the movies and I remember being amazed by the strange planets, epic battles and heroic characters. Even today when I watch the movies again, I find more reasons to love them.
When I went to see the most recently released movies in theaters, I noticed some problems with them but for the kids in the theater, it was still Star Wars. The Star Wars movies have never been cinematic masterpieces. They were not made to be some artistic phenomenon. When I watch Star Wars, I am put into a place that I could never imagine or create on my own and I am a kid again.  
With the new generation of Star Wars content, a new generation of fans is falling in love with the galaxy far, far away. They are able to feel the same way I did when I was first introduced to Star Wars. There are kids today that love the new stories in spite of what many critics say. I think spreading the excitement and happiness to more people is certainly not a problem, and I, for one, am happy with what Disney has done.

Daniel Dye
Daniel Dye, Former Managing Editor
Daniel Dye served as the Managing Editor in 2021. He also served as the News Editor from 2020 to 2021.