Cookies and Condoms returns to campus

Cookies and Condoms

Mississippi State University’s Health Promotion and Wellness will host a sexual health program from 10 to 2 p.m. today and tomorrow in the Colvard Student Union Dawghouse.
Providing cookies and condoms, Health Promotion and Wellness representatives will offer essential resources for the Valentine’s Day holiday. According to Mississippi’s intimacy statistics, condom use is not as wide-spread as it should be. Giving the campus instruction it sorely lacks, their aim is to bring the community up to necessary safety standards.
Free from the awkward taboo of discussing sex in public, these trained professionals are the best source for proper sexual health information. The Cookies and Condoms event will feature free cookies, condoms and a swath of incredible sexual health resources for MSU students. 
Santee Ezell, health and wellness educator at MSU, said the promotion of safe sex among students is a top priority for their department.
“We want students to be safe and responsible when it comes to sex,” Ezell said. “There are plenty of resources for students, including individuals like JuLeigh Baker and our sexual health packets.”
Sexual health packets will be distributed, panels will cover relationships and sexual assault, and a novelty photo-booth will be available to get a fun holiday photo. Attendees will have sex myths dispelled, fascinating statistics administered and leave with far more knowledge in a very short period of time. Those who stop by also get free food and condoms, so it is well worth a brief trip to the Union.
There is no need to worry about this event in terms of discretion. As a celebration of love, this event gives condoms and sexual education to all who enter. Whether you are single or in a committed relationship, all you have to do is stop by. No personal information is recorded, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask the staff.
Helping to prevent unplanned pregnancy is not the only benefit condoms provide. The barrier between genitals offers protection from undesirable sexually transmitted infections, which Mississippi used to be better ranked in nationally. The state fell in health rankings, so now is the perfect time for action and re-education.
While most symptoms can be alleviated with antibiotics, some infections can be life threatening if left untreated. To help curb Mississippi’s STI rates, the Health Center will also offer reduced-cost STI testing in early April of this semester.
Erinn Funches, a health promotion and wellness GA Suite intern, said these events are not only about safe sex, but promoting understanding of one’s own sexual health.
“We want to make sure that students are practicing safe sex and that they are aware of their sexual health status,” Funches said.
No appointment is needed, the test is confidentially filed and there are multiple payment options available. The cost is $22, and the Health Center can be contacted for any additional details. 
Simply getting a check-up allows for less future stress, responsible sexual activity and a healthier population living among campus and the state at large.
Ffion Price, a PhD kinesiology student at MSU, said they would love to see students caring about their health and how that can impact the health of potential sexual partners.
Health Promotion and Wellness helps tackle prevention, provides useful programs and is a valuable resource to our community. Their events are fully staffed to provide professional answers and support to all MSU students in need of health education.
They have many events planned out to cover a wide spectrum of health, including drugs, nutrition and self-identity. They have an active social media presence, providing details for all upcoming events on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Regardless of your relationship status, this event is the perfect opportunity to fill in the gaps left behind by inadequate sexual education. Most receive sex education around the age of puberty, so many have leftover unanswered questions from middle school.
The staff at the Cookies and Condoms event are happy to answer any questions that about sexual activity. Feel free to stop by this week and grab some free stuff. Participants will wind up leaving with far more than ever expected.

Brandon Grisham
Brandon Grisham, Former Online Editor
Brandon Grisham served as the Online Editor from 2019 to 2020. He also started The Reflector's digital archive, dubbed the "Grisham Archive Project."