Stop to hear natural music

Not long ago, my mom gave me a T-shirt that reads, “Music Is My Life.” In my case, I believe this statement to be true. I have loved music for as long as I can remember, but something about this shirt was new to me. There was an interesting picture on the front which caused me to think.
    The shirt depicts a pair of headphones, but instead of a head in the middle of them, there is a tree.
    Most people would see this tree and assume that the maker of the shirt was on drugs when he designed it, but I believe that he simply understands music.
    Music can be just about anything. The tree on the T-shirt made me remember the old days when I would lay in a hammock under tall oak trees with my grandfather.
    The sounds of the leaves softly rustling in the wind would put us to sleep. That is music.
    I am a huge fan of New York City. I went for the first time after my freshman year in high school.
    Because of the feelings that I have associated with New York, all the sounds I heard there are music. I happen to love the sound of impatient taxi drivers honking their horns like crazy at pedestrians. I love the sound of the subway rushing underneath you as you walk down the sidewalk. I love the sound of the bagpipes during the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade. All of this is music to my ears.
    The standards for what is considered music have changed greatly over the years.
    These days, people can make a living by painting their faces blue and banging on trash cans. This is what is music to them, and many people admire the creativity of the Blue Man Group.
    The word music is any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds. Just like taste buds, no two people have the same ears. This leads to different people considering different sounds as music.
    Going through high school, I was on the drum line for my school’s marching band. Because of the band experience, I was introduced to many genres of music, and I ended up liking many of them.
    I love anything from good old classic rock to some Broadway musicals. I used to despise musicals, but when you find the right one, it is easy to get hooked.
    Due to my change, I encourage everyone to let themselves experience every different type of music. You never know what you might end up liking.
    Due to my interest in musicals now, I have always wondered what it would be like to live in one and have random people break out in song as you walk by them.
    I chuckle to myself as I walk down the drill field listening to music and imagining this happening.
    All in all, music can be anything a person makes it. I encourage you to listen for music all around you as you go through your life.
    Especially listen for music at Mississippi State football games. Yes, there is music coming from the bands, but listen deeper.
    Hear the music of footsteps as people rush to their seats.
    Hear the music of cowbells filling the air as fans show their support for the team.
    Most importantly, hear the music of weeping as the opposing team walks away after the Bulldogs bring home a victory.
    Music is everywhere. All you have to do is listen.
    Jay Ballard is a freshman majoring in chemistry. He can be contacted at [email protected].