Alaskan Recruiter Visits MSU

A recruiter representing the Alaska Department of Fish and Game visited Mississippi State University on Thursday to recruit students for the department’s internship program and spread the word of possible career tracks within the department. There was a booth set up in Thompson Hall and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Candice Bressler, the recruiter, said she came to MSU because she had heard of the outstanding College of Forest Resources and the good science-related courses offered. She said there is no prior experience or knowledge necessary to apply, and the company is looking for students who would like to enter a field related to wildlife and fisheries sciences.
“There are roughly 28 percent of people retiring [from the department] in the next few years,” Bressler said.
Being proactive in finding people to fill those spots is important to Bressler and the department. Bressler said she was looking for students who are hard-working and adventurous and who like the outdoors.
“It is the department’s mission to protect, maintain and improve the fish, game and aquatic plant resources of the state,” Bressler said. “Actually, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is different than any other similar department in any other state because it is directed in the Constitution of Alaska to fulfill that mission.
The department, which has an annual budget of nearly $200 million, manages roughly 750 active fisheries, 26 game management units and 32 special areas in Alaska. In addition, there are about 1,700 employees currently working for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
There are various divisions to which applicants, either undergraduate or graduate students, have the opportunity to apply: Division of Commercial Fisheries, Division of Sport Fish, Division of Wildlife Conservation, Division of Habitat and Division of Subsistence. The length of the internships can vary but can generally last for as long as needed.
Any student interesting in applying or learning more about the internship offered by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game should contact Candice Bressler at [email protected].