LSU encounter enforces MSU school spirit

Yes, the gossip is true: I did make the terrible mistake of going to Louisiana State University for my freshman year. I know, I know, I’ve been reeking of corndogs and coonasses ever since this tragic flaw.
But, I corrected my woe by faithfully devoting myself to Mississippi State dedication for the past two years. I love the scenery, the smells — the very feel of our cow pasture.
Things I like: the Mississippi hospitality displayed by all, the flavor of the Junction on a steamy Saturday game, our humble origins, our 123-year-old newspaper; our own ice cream, the joys of driving down Highway 12, the Cotton District, the short bike-ride to school, the weather between the months of November and January as well as from April to June, our Egg Bowl trophy; cowbells (pretty much enough said). However, I do have a couple of grievances that I think a couple of other students may share.
First, why are there more computers in the computer lab that are “Out of Order” than actually working?
I have the most difficult time finding an open computer from roughly 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Will they ever be fixed? Will our high demands for working computers ever be met?
Secondly, why are there not comfortable lounge chairs and sofas occupying the halls of Lee Hall?
As an English major, I am constantly being stereotyped as a Starbucks- pseudo-intellectual-jazz-music-listener-pretentious-Chaucer-reader.
So why can’t we at least make part of the stereotype true and provide armchairs and sofas by which we can pseudo-intellectually converse while drinking cups of joe and chai tea?
Third, where has all the parking gone? I saw a car accident occur in one of the Northeast parking zones just this morning because two students were driving around madly looking for a nonexistent parking space.
More dorms = more parking, right?
Fourth, why is my life put in jeopardy every day by the multitudes riding bikes on the sidewalks, riders who act as if it is my responsibility to leap into the grass to prevent collision?
I love bikes. I love them, I really do.
They are eco-friendly, good for exercise and cut down on travel-time between classes.
But why must they be the driving force of our sidewalks?
Fifth, why do non-MSU fans and students continue to confuse Mississippi State University with “that school up north?”
Last weekend I traveled down to Baton Rouge to ring my cowbell for our school (Geaux Dawgs) and a fan asked me why I expected MSU to defeat LSU when it was our school that lost to Jacksonville State the previous weekend.
I responded with, “Hey, bud, you’ve got the wrong school. That would be Ole Miss.”
He proceeded to laugh in my face, insisting that I didn’t even know the stats of my own university.
Now, I might have a few minor complaints about our school, but nobody — I repeat — nobody should ever confuse Ole Miss with Mississippi State ever again.
I have never been more excited to go to school than when I have been at MSU.
“They” tell me I should have gone to Ole Miss to be an English major, but I am determined to prove that even without working computers, fancy armchairs, parking spots and respectful bike-riders, we are still more classy than any other SEC school in the south.
I regret not using my cowbell physically to persuade that young gentleman of the meaning of True Maroon.
Mollie C. Reeves is a copy editor of The Reflector. She can be contacted at [email protected].