They’re back! ‘Jackass’ crew reunites for offensive 3D romp

Recently, an abundance of films have been made into 3D. From children’s movies to slasher flicks, the market has become oversaturated. Most of the time, these movies are really well done but lack a certain something.  This past weekend we received a breath of fresh air in the 3D movie market.  Director Jeff Tremaine gave us “Jackass 3D.” With the usual motley crew of Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, Bam Margera and the rest of the Jackass gang, we get a chance to fully explore the realm of 3D movies. Shooting in 3D posed some new challenges. This is not like James Cameron’s Avatar, where you have people acting in Oscar-worthy performances. The professionals who are shooting for “Jackass 3D” are filming people getting hit in the groin at high speed. Phallic objects are being shot out of air cannons at ultra-high speeds, only to be slowed down to show the impact on a person’s face. The crew on this film has taken the juvenile humor and elevated it to an art form. There is something truly majestic about watching a person in slow motion being flung 30 feet into the air and shot with paintball guns.  
If you are easily offended this is not the movie for you. It encompasses all the foul humor you can think of and then some. Jackass has always been known for pushing the limit, and with the benefit of 3D, they decided to push it further. Throughout the film there are fart jokes, vomiting, cursing, genitalia, defecation, pain and suffering and public humiliation. While it is crude, there are still moments that are truly comedic genius. Most of the gags or pranks they come up with seem to be planned well in advance and set up so that all goes according to plan. This attention to detail adds to the hilarity and makes you just want to sit there and watch more.
The entire cast and crew is subject to the pranks and general mayhem that goes on throughout the film. The nature of the pranks is not always on the evil side sometimes it is just plain funny. Spike Jones makes several appearances in the film alongside Johnny Knoxville, but not as him self. Knoxville and Jones aaply extensive makeup and then set forth to play pranks on unsuspecting pedestrians. They don’t just do it to gross people out; the reactions are often the funniest parts. 
While this movie might not be for everyone, it really does 3D movies justice. Since it was actually shot using 3D equipment, the film looks right. It often feels as if you are going to be right there alongside them as a Jared Allen of the Minnesota Viking is getting ready to pound Johnny Knoxville into the ground. True, there might be one too many shots of genitalia, but we all need to make sacrifices if we want to see absolutely hilarious stunts and pranks. Overall, I would highly recommend this film to anyone who can stomach it. Like I said before, if you are weak of heart, please stay home and lock your doors. “Jackass 3D” is on the loose and ready to make you laugh.