MSU professor to give lecture at library

At noon on Wednesday, the Starkville Public Library will feature Stanly Godbold, professor emeritus of history at Mississippi State University. He will present his book, titled, “Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter -— the Georgia Years 1924-1974” as well as doing a book signing. The book surrounds President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn.
Kristen Marx, senior history major, said she believed Godbold’s book held significance because the time Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter spent in Georgia undoubtedly shaped their views on the world.
“Obviously, those views would become very important when Jimmy Carter became president,” she said. “The book may shed some light on the reasoning behind decisions he made in the White House.”
Virginia Holtcamp, director of the Starkville Public Library, said Godbold was asked to come to the library by an organization called The Friends of the Starkville Public Library.
The organization, also called The Friends, created a program called Books and Authors, which features authors monthly at the Starkville Public Library.
“The Friends organized the program and got Dr. Godbold to come,” Holtcamp said. “The group tries to get a variety of authors. It does benefits and raises money. The proceeds go to getting new books for the library.”
Marx said The Books and Authors program makes people aware of books they otherwise may never have heard of.
“It is always good to expand people’s knowledge of books and, consequently, various subject matters,” she said.
Mandy Bliss, senior history major, said the program featured at the Starkville Public Library provides a great opportunity for both the people of Starkville and MSU students to go and listen to different authors talk.
“Books and Authors is a great program because it helps to connect the community with authors from Mississippi, or the South, and learn about their work. As professor emeritus of history at Mississippi State, Dr. Godbold is an excellent example of these authors and has ties to the community,” she said.
Godbold has a Ph.D. from Duke University and has written three other biographies of other southerners, but his presentation on Wednesday will focus mainly on the Carters.
“Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter are known today as being great humanitarians and a one-term First Family,” Marx said. “However, they lived incredibly interesting and important lives before any of that took place. Dr. Godbold’s lecture may help teach people about a side to the Carters most know nothing about.”
Bliss said Godbold’s book gives an insight into Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter and their lives in Georgia from their childhood until the end of his time as a governor.
“The book is unique because it also pays significant attention to Rosalynn Carter, something that is rare in presidential biographies,” she said.
Both Marx and Bliss agree they would encourage students to come to this month’s program.
“I would highly encourage students, regardless of major, to attend the lecture,” said Bliss. “This is an opportunity to hear about two people who helped change the image of the South nationally, and who helped to shape the nation into what it is today.”
Marx said she would encourage any student to attend because the life of a president influences all people.
“Decisions past presidents made trickle down and still influence us today,” she said.
The presentation will be free to anyone who wants to come.
“People can come and bring a friend and a sack lunch. The Friends will provide refreshments and drinks,” Holtcamp said.