Bully Bikes

Bully Bikes at Mississippi State University are part of the overall transportation demand management program and can be used by anyone on campus. The goal of the bikes is to help reduce traffic in order to make shuttles able to run more efficiently, Mike Harris, director of parking operations, said.

Phase one of the Bully Bike program began in fall 2008 with a fleet of 100 bikes, Harris said. Since then, MSU has received an additional 100 upgraded versions of bikes from Phase one. Of the 200 bikes, about 40 are inoperable for various reasons, and Harris said those are used for repairs and spare parts. Changes to the first fleet include stainless steel pedals, adjustable seats, possible new color schemes and sturdier tires, he said. Harris said he would like to see the parts become easier to integrate so a lot of different repairs are not needed to take a piece from one bike and place it on another.
Caitlin Harter, junior psychology major, said she found the bikes to be uncomfortable and would like to see that improve.
“It was just awkward to me,” she said. “It seemed like it was too small of a bike.”
Mike Dampier, industrial engineering graduate student, said he has only ridden on one but felt it was uncomfortable, too.
“They’re not really well maintained,” he said. “It felt like the handlebars were going to fall out from under me, and the wheels were shaky.”
Harris said students may have noticed fewer bikes on campus this year and the main reason is cost, but there are plans to order more for the upcoming year.
“To run this program, it runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000 to $40,000 a year,” he said. “When you look at those kinds of numbers in this economic time, we have to kind of weigh our options of where that money can be used most efficiently.”
Harris said another reason Bully Bikes are not as available right now is because parking services tries to pick up as many as possible prior to home football games when the chance of them being taken or damaged greatly increases.  He said more would be available in the spring.
Even though there have been issues with mistreatment of the bikes, Harris said he is glad Bully Bikes are being used. He said he understands things will happen to them, such as being placed on rooftops and trees and left in bathrooms. Parking services collects all the bikes around campus and they sometimes have to travel off campus to retrieve them, Harris said. Georgia is the farthest away he said he has heard of one being taken. In spite of this, Harris said the students have done a great job self-policing and it makes parking service’s job easier.
When a bike is found, Harris said parking services is notified. He said each bike comes with a sticker telling who to call if found and not to take the bike off campus. They are registered with parking services the same way students can register their personal bikes for free, he said.
The bikes must be ordered in the spring to be received in fall of the same year.  Harris said Parking Operations has plans to order bikes for next fall. He said he is hoping to add a fleet of bikes with stronger tires to meet the demands of students. 
To meet these demands, more bike lanes will have to be added, which is something Harris said he hopes to accomplish soon.
“I think the biggest thing that’s going to push this whole program is going to be more bike lanes,” he said. “When you separate pedestrians from bikes from vehicles and give them their own space, I think it will be even more successful.”
Mike Dampier, industrial engineering graduate student, said he has only ridden one but felt it was uncomfortable, as well.
Harris said another reason fewer Bully Bikes are available right now is because parking services tries to pick up as many as possible prior to home football games, when the chance of them being taken or damaged greatly increases.  He said more would be available in the spring.
Even though there have been issues with mistreatment of the bikes, Harris said he is glad Bully Bikes are being used. He said he understands things will happen to them, such as being placed on rooftops and trees and left in bathrooms. Parking Services collects all the bikes around campus and they sometimes have to travel off campus to retrieve them, Harris said. Georgia is the farthest away he said he has heard of one being taken. In spite of this, Harris said the students have done a great job self-policing and it makes Parking Services’ job easier.
When a bike is found, Harris said Parking Services is notified. He said each bike comes with a sticker telling who to call if found and not to take the bike off campus. They are registered with Parking Services the same way students can register their personal bikes for free, he said.
The bikes must be ordered in the spring to be received in fall of the same year.  Harris said Parking Services has plans to order bikes for next fall. He said he is hoping to add a fleet of bikes with stronger tires to meet the demands of students.