Mississippi country singer to dazzle crowd at Rick’s

Rising country music singer Randy Houser will play at Rick’s Cafe on Feb. 19. The Mississippi native was born in Jackson and raised in Lake – a musical crossroads between rhythm and blues of the Delta and deep-south country.
    Houser’s father was a well-known musician in the Jackson area laid the musical foundation for his inspiration and success, according to Houser.
    These genres, along with the southern gospel music, surrounded him with a culture of musical inspiration.
    He began writing songs at a young age, and began performing local gigs throughout high school.
    In a press release Houser said, “I started writing songs right away, at 15 and 16 years old. I was already starting because I hated playing the ‘covers’ of the hits I knew that if I was ever going to do anything in music, I was going to have to learn to express myself. Otherwise, it was going to be the same-old, same-old,” Houser said in a press release.
    When Houser was 21, his father died. The heartfelt lyrics in his songs, especially “I’ll Sleep,” heavily reflect the close relationship between Houser and his father.
    After his father’s death, Houser moved to Nashville to pursue his career as a country musician.
    He signed with Show-Dog Universal Music and his dreams began to come true. Last year, he received two CMA nominations for New Artist of the Year and Music Video of the Year for “Boots On.”
    Houser’s first single “Anything Goes,” as well as his album of the same title, earned the artist a spotlight in the country music scene.
    Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s Cafe, said he is looking forward to meeting the artist and seeing his performance.
    His songs are currently climbing the charts and are being played nationwide, and in the midst of his accumulating success, Rick’s Cafe was able to book the singer.
    “The circumstances for his performance are special,” Welch said. “Randy Houser is getting too big to book, but there was a last-minute cancellation, and we are lucky to have him. Randy Houser is currently on the charts, and he has a lot of great things in store for his future.”
    Welch has seen many artists make it big that have played at Rick’s Cafe – Maroon 5, Dierks Bentley, Flyleaf, Cowboy Mouth, Jason Aldean and Eli Young Band, to name a few.
    Welch is also looking forward to speaking with the artist and discussing their mutual friends.
    “It is really cool to have an artist play that is on the way up – the sky is the limit. This gives our town and our community great national attention.”
    Many students at Mississippi State are very excited to see Houser in concert.
    Most who listen to country music recognize his songs. They said they enjoy Houser’s upbeat, soulful dancing music as well as slower, more emotional ones.
    Allie Baker, sophomore agriculture food and resource major, said she is a fan of Houser.
    “He sings my kind of country; I like ‘Whistlin’ Dixie’ and ‘Boots On,'” Baker said.
    Jon Dawson, sophomore pre-med major, said he enjoys the variety of Houser’s music.
    “Randy Houser has good party songs, but the slower songs are great too. The lyrics are very easy to identify with,” Dawson said.
    His album “Anything Goes” was a kick-start to a debut country music career.
    His new album They Call Me Cadillac, which will be released in April, is one of the most anticipated country music albums in 2010. “Whistlin’ Dixie” is his first single from the new album and has peaked at 31 on the U.S. Country chart. “Out Here in the Country” will be his second single for the album.