Provost position remains unfilled

Mississippi State University is still searching to fill the empty provost position. MSU officials said the search for a new provost should conclude in early March.
    Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and head of the provost search committee Gary Myers said the provost search committee was formed early last summer and the committee met for the first time in July.
    “At that time, the committee decided to seek nominations and applications on its own by posting advertisements in various academic outlets,” Myers said. “We then met in September to discuss the results of our search.”
    Myers said after the committee met in September meeting, they chose to contract a search firm due to the low response rate.
    “In October, Academic Search was hired to assist in the search,” Myers said.
    “The search committee will narrow the list down to about 10 to 12 applicants who will be interviewed by teleconference,” Myers said. “Of those candidates, three to four will be given on-campus interviews near the end of February.”
    Myers said if all goes according to schedule, a recommendation will be given to Keenum the first week of March.
    The provost at Mississippi State serves as a top academic administrator and also the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
    Student Association President Blake Jeter said the provost position is extremely important.
    “Not only is this person going to be the chief academic officer but it’s going to be the clear no. 2 on campus,” Jeter said. “It is going to be the executive vice president and provost, so they’re going to have a lot to do with implementing these new initiatives and the budget cuts.”
    Jeter said this is probably one of the most important hires that will be made at the university because whenever Keenum is away, the provost will be in charge.
    “They are going to have a lot of control over the academic mission of Mississippi State University,” he said. “All the academic deans report directly to the provost.”
    Jeter said he is sure when this new person comes in, the role will be expanded because they will be the executive vice president as well.
    “The role is going to encompass all academics, but will also probably be expanded,” Jeter said. “It is going to be very interesting to see what happens.”
    Current Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Glenn Steele said the provost works with the deans, department heads and faculty to ensure that the university has the highest quality educational programs.
    “President Keenum asked me to serve while we complete the search process for a provost,” Steele said. “I am pleased and honored to serve the university in this role.”
    For more information on the provost search go to provost.msstate.edu.
    Managing Editor Aubra Whitten contributed to this article.