Women’s hoops beats Bama, drops OT thriller

The Mississippi State Lady Bulldogs may not have won both of their last two games, but they played more consistently as they enter the final stretch of SEC play. One big reason could be the return of senior Tysheka Grimes on Sunday, who made an impact right away.
    The matchup against Alabama to close out the current home stretch was one the Lady Bulldogs needed after the disappointing Kentucky game and with a trip to Florida looming. The 9-14 (1-9 in SEC) Crimson Tide proved to be no match for MSU, which let head coach Sharon Fanning-Otis spread quality minutes across her bench, as the Lady Bulldogs dominated, winning 77-44.
    Leading scorer Alexis Rack continued her struggles from beyond the arc, going two for 10 and scoring only 10 points total. However, her drought left room for MSU’s other shooters to take up her slack.
    Senior guard Armelie Lumanu logged another double-double, her fourth of the season, with 15 points and 11 rebounds, and senior center Rima Kalonda added eight points of her own and 12 rebounds, a career high.
    But it was junior forward Mary Kathryn Govero who picked up the team and carried it en route to the win. Govero led the team with 22 points and shot four for nine in 3-point territory. She said she credited her teammates for her own offensive success.
    “Coach has really been on me about being open and not calling for the ball,” she said. “Alexis was doing a great job of driving the ball and drawing the defense to allow for more open shots. The team was able to find me during open looks and I was able to make a few.”
    Fanning-Otis said Govero recognized the defense and began pulling back to get better looks at the basket.
    “If we’re taking contested shots, then you find a way to get a better one,” she said. “That’s something every player has to learn and Mary Kathryn is doing that. We have some very good shooters and they have to be ready for that. Every one of our players has to step up and get some confidence.”
    However, the Lady Bulldogs were unable to create a winning streak, by losing a true heartbreaker in Gainesville on Super Sunday, as Florida used its home court advantage to pull out an 80-78 victory in double overtime.
    Sunday’s matchup saw Rack continue her offensive struggles, as she hit only three of 21 from the field, two of 17 from three-point land. This time around, however, it was senior forward Chanel Mokango who stepped in with 22 points, almost entirely after halftime. Mokango was saddled with three fouls only six minutes in, and sat out the rest of the first half.
    But probably the most important development for the Lady Bulldogs was the return of Tysheka Grimes, who saw her first SEC action of the season against the Gators.
    Although Fanning-Otis has said Grimes would be eased back into the lineup as she built up her strength, you could not tell a difference. The senior guard played like a bottle that had been corked for too long, putting up 10 points and five rebounds. Her trey with 33 seconds remaining in the first overtime gave MSU the lead and a chance to pull out the win.
    Before the game, Rack said Grimes’ injury has been been both a curse and a blessing.
    “Her injury has let other players get good experience and more playing time,” she said. “[With Tysheka back,] we will have good confidence, experience and great weapons off the bench.”
    Fanning-Otis said she expected the team to benefit from the senior’s return. “It was great to see Tysheka back at practice last week and in the game Sunday,” she said. “She brings great experience and energy to our team, and hopefully she can continue to make a positive difference for us.”
    Mississippi State will next take the court against South Carolina on Thursday, and will return to the Hump on Sunday to take on the Ole Miss Lady Rebels. Tip-off time is set for 4:30 p.m.