MSU police continue search for suspect

The perpetrator of an assault on an MSU student at the Nov. 28 Egg Bowl is still at large while campus police are still seeking leads that hopefully will lead the individual’s apprehension.
    The Reflector previously reported that an argument in the north end zone stands evolved into a physical altercation that left an MSU student with a concussion and lacerations to his head resulting from being struck with a cowbell, according to MSU Police Department Detective Brad Massey.
    Photos taken at the end of the game about the time the argument took place has offered the only vague clues to the identity the attacker who was wearing a gray Under Armour MSU hooded sweatshirt and jeans.
    He was described as a college-aged white male with dark brown or black hair, 5 feet, 8 inches tall and approximately 150-160 pounds.
    The Reflector was able to contact the victim who agreed to be interviewed under the condition of anonymity, but later referred all questions to his attorney because the assault is an ongoing legal matter. The victim and his family expressed concern that they did not want cowbells to be portrayed in a negative light and that this was an isolated incident and did not warrant a crackdown on the bells.
    The victims name has still not been released.
    MSU Police Chief Georgia Lindley said the case is still under investigation.
    “It’s still a high priority for the department,” she said.
    Golden Triangle Crimestoppers co-coordinator Terrie Songer said no leads had been received by the organization, but information about the assault and the attacker had been aired on local television stations.
    If apprehended, the attacker could face charges of aggravated assault, which can carry a penalty of up to 20 years in a state penitentiary.
    Crime Stoppers is giving a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest.
    Anyone with any information about the assault can call the MSU Police Department at 325-2121 or Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.