Cre8tive Warehouse promotes local artist’s work

Beyond a bowling alley and a movie theater with a small-market selection, Starkville does sometimes seem void of entertainment options.
    However, for those willing to look beyond the usual options, Starkville can offer some interesting things.
    Friday offers just such an interesting event. Cre8tive Warehouse is hosting an art exhibit with the reception set for Friday.
    The exhibit will feature the art of AJ Meadows, a Mississippi State University graduate currently working to become a professor. This, his second solo show in Starkville, will feature mostly sculpture.
    “I have a strange fascination with the audience’s reaction to performing arts and my work. It’s satisfying to me to see who laughs and who gets upset. I enjoy a 50/50 ratio,” Meadows said.
    He went on to mention that some of the pieces in the exhibit are intended for mature audiences. He said he encourages the viewers of his pieces to remember it is only art.
    The art on display is both entertaining to view and revealing about the himself said Meadows.
    “That is what this show has become – an experiment. I am the control and you?[the viewers] are the variable. My life will be on display for anyone who?cares to see and with any luck I will be judged on personal levels,” Meadows said.
    For those who would like to have some context for the show, Meadows’s Web site, ajmeadows.com, displays some of his work.
    The Web site contains photographs of some of his “sculpture” work, which is often subversively titled and humorous in nature.
    Certainly fitting in with Meadows’s 50/50 attitude about his art, this is the kind of experimentation that drives the art and makes it so interesting to view.
    Art sales like this are important to aspiring art students, as well.
    Junior art major Robbie Richardson likes the idea that fellow artists get a chance to display their work.
    “A solo art exhibit is a pretty big deal for artist, so it is nice to see that there are studios out there giving people a chance,” Richardson said.
    This sentiment is not lost on Cre8tive Warehouse co-proprietor, Heath Kleinke.
    “I think it is very important to have a venue for both students and local non student artists to sell and preview their work,” Kleinke said.
    He also said having an artistic venue is necessary for art lovers.
    “It also is important to have a place where artists and patrons of the arts to meet and discuss art, and build a more vibrant art community,” said Kleinke.
    Cre8tive Warehouse has other events coming up with a similar focus, such as a dodgeball tournament at Rick’s Cafe to raise money.
    The organization has also created an event called First Friday and are currently in the process of promoting it, hoping it will grow in popularity.
    This event is held on the first Friday of each month and features local businesses.
    This week’s event features State Theater, Restaurant Tyler, Dandy Doodlez, Sun Dial and, of course, Cre8tive Warehouse.
    If weather permits, there will be a few local musicians playing in front of the businesses.
    The sale opens at 5 p.m. Friday and is open to the public.
    The pieces are all Meadows’s original work and will be available to purchase.
    Meadows said that if those who attend come to the sale late, they may miss a performance.
    The sale is currently set to be open for three weeks after it opens Friday.