Cotton District raises money for Haiti

Residents and visitors of the Cotton District came out to support relief efforts for Haiti Jan. 28, raising $1,200 to go toward houses.
    Mississippi State University Student Association Vice President Drew Cleek said he was going to have the grand opening of the new cigar store Starkville Stogies and then saw the need somewhere else.
    “We wanted to turn the publicity into something good,” Cleek said. “We gave all our proceeds to Haiti that night.”
    Cleek said he chose Haiti because the recent earthquake destroyed most of the country and it is the poorest country in the hemisphere and is in a lot of need. He said the benefit was a huge success.
    Cleek said when he recognized a need in Haiti, he saw the opportunity to do something and help out a good cause.
    Habitat for Humanity can build a house in Haiti for $600 and since the benefit raised double that amount, two houses will come from the night’s events, Cleek said.
    The event was advertised on the radio, at the fraternities and sororities on campus and by word-of-mouth, Cleek said.
    “A lot of prominent businessmen in the area came out,” Cleek said. “That was cool to see.”
    A thousand free cigars were given away, Cleek said. Free food for the public was provided by Three Little Pigs BBQ and bars in the area gave discounted drinks to patrons who donated money. Addison Shock, William and Mary and JD Spencer provided the music.
    Junior landscape architecture major John Mustain of the band William and Mary said he had fun making music at the event.
    “It was a front yard festival of sorts,” he said. “We had a lot of fun playing at it.”
    Senior communication major Addison Shock lent his voice and guitar for the benefit for Haiti and the love of music.
    “I think we should help our friends around the world and I was blessed to be a part of it,” Shock said.
    He said he thinks the community coming out to support Haiti is great.
    “I have a friend in Haiti and I love music, so it was a win-win,” Shock said. “I grew up on music and I feel it’s necessary for us to support Haiti.”
    The small island country was rocked by an earthquake with a 7.0 magnitude. Port-au-Prince, the country’s capital and largest city, was left in shambles and chaos. Damage made accessing airports and seaports nearly impossible. It was days after the earthquake before relief efforts were able to reach the people of Haiti.
    Cleek said he thinks there might be an event the last Thursday of each month to go toward volunteer efforts.
    “We want to have something where we can give back every month,” he said. “So be looking out for that.”