Dudy Gras set for kickoff

In New Orleans, they celebrate Mardi Gras. Here in Starkville, they celebrate Dudy Gras.
    Dudy Gras 4.5 kicks off on Friday with the Dynamic Fire Protection Dudy Gras parade, and co-founder and chairman Hobie Hobart said he could not be more excited.
    “We like to call ourselves the official unofficial start of baseball season,” he said. “When Dudy Gras starts up, you know Bulldog baseball is right around the corner.”
    Now, the reason it is Dudy Gras 4.5 and not 5, Hobart said, is because of a tough first attempt.
    “The .5 of course comes from our first year being snowed out and not being able to do it,” he said. “We went out to our favorite bars and had a little parade indoors, so we give ourselves half a credit for that.”
    The parade begins at 4 p.m. at Rick’s Cafe and is the official start of the eight days of Dudy Gras. Each day of the celebration represents one of the eight trips Mississippi State has made to the College World Series. Fittingly, the Grand Marshall for this year’s parade is former Bulldog great Jeff Brantley, who played in the 1985 College World Series for the Bulldogs.
    Chip Carley, co-founder of Dudy Gras, said it started out as a small group of Diamond Dawgs faithful.
    “It’s just the excitement of college baseball,” he said. “This thing started out as four guys who love MSU baseball. A lot of people say, ‘Man, living in Starkville, we don’t do anything for Mardi Gras season,’ and this ties it all together.”
    Naturally, Dudy Gras is a very unique event, and parades are not typical for most baseball teams before the season even starts.
    Hobart said it is just one more thing that sets Bulldog fans above the rest.
    “14,991,” he said. “That’s the on campus single game attendance record. It’s held by Mississippi State in Starkville, Mississippi. It’s not in Austin, Texas, or a big town like that. It’s in Starkville, Mississippi; 23 times we’ve had over 10,000 people in attendance. I think Bulldog baseball is the biggest asset that Mississippi State has to offer. We want to do our part in promoting it.”
    One of the biggest changes to this year’s edition, Hobart said, is all proceeds will go to the local Red Cross, thanks to the wishes of the head coach.
    “Typically, the money we raise is donated to the Dugout Club for the team to use to improve their locker room, or whatever needs they may have,” he said. “But this year, Coach Cohen actually came to me and asked if we could donate the money to the Red Cross to help with the fires from December 28th.”
    Hobart said the main point is to help the Red Cross replenish its funds, and the key charity event will be the Dudy Gras Ball on Feb. 12 at the Hilton Garden Inn. Tickets for the semi formal ball are $40 and limited to the first 300 buyers.
    There will also be a silent auction the night of the ball, featuring a wide variety of donated MSU memorabilia, again with all proceeds going to the Red Cross.
    Hobart said he hopes the Dudy Gras celebration will start the momentum for another great Bulldog baseball season.
    “All the MSU fans can ask is for our players to give 100 percent when they step on the field in the Maroon and White,” he said. “From Dudy Gras to Omaha, baby.”