Beware of eco-friendly labels

No, I am not a vegan, a green extremist or a card carrying tree hugger of any sort. However, I do admire their efforts.
    As a member of the human race, I believe it is our duty to do our best to care for and regulate the well-being of our planet. The question is, do we? Or is the green movement just another commercial ploy for capital gain?
    With the recent passing of the 40th Earth Day, I cannot help but to reflect on recent issues of a greener persuasion.
    For instance, on April 4, the Chinese coal carrying ship Shen Neng sailed into government protected waters and leaked oil on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. Prior to this catastrophe, the last worldwide media coverage of the world’s largest reef system centered on a lost clown fish named Nemo.
    Even more recently, on Wednesday, an oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, leaving 11 people missing, as well as endangering marine life in the area. To say the least, this tragedy obviously challenges the Gulf’s image as an ideal cruise location.
    Not to say that such events as these do not get avid news coverage and media attention, but it is time that the call to go green goes further than its commercial successes. While watching news reports on these two tragic events, I was bombarded by commercial breaks filled with 30-second promotions for merchandise that promised to make the Earth a better place if used. Somehow I felt as if these ads were an attempt to exploit my sympathy for oil covered sea creatures. It made me uncomfortable, and simply put, I am tired of a legitimate cause morphing into a fashionable trend.
    Is going “green” really about anything more than making green? We have all seen the countless commercials advertising items like shampoos, light bulbs and even toilet papers that are “environmentally friendly.” We can all recall the shelves in stores stocked with boxes, tubs and bottles plastered with labels that scream “GREEN.” As consumers, we purchase these items feeling accomplished and proud that through such a small (though at times pricey) contribution we have helped make our Earth a happier, healthier place to reside for humans and animals as well.
    What many consumers do not realize is just because a product’s label claims to be “environmentally safe,” it does not mean the contents are truly “green”. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, ambiguous monikers such as those mentioned are virtually useless in determining whether or not a product is environmentally safe. As a matter of fact, “green washing”, or deceptive use of environmental marketing, can at times lead to the deception of the consumer if he or she is not cautious.
    Let me state I am in no way saying that all products that claim to be “green” or better for the environment are schemes to get over on ecologically concerned consumers. The Federal Trade Commission does indeed provide guidelines on marketing items that fall under this category. However, more times than not there are products that do not uphold these standards and are subject to legal ramifications.
    Therefore, when shopping for products that will not harm the environment, consumers should look for certification, such as Green Seal, on household cleaning products. Upon visiting the Green Seal web site and looking at their certified product listings, I discovered many of the household products that claim to be “green” do not yet have this seal of approval. We should all be cautious consumers to avoid falling for sneaky sales routines.
    Frankly, the key to becoming more eco savvy does not lie in the type of detergent you buy, but in reverting to the basics.
    Melody Andrews is a junior majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected].