‘Big Event’ gets MSU students involved

The Big Event will begin today at 7 a.m. to help Mississippi State University students give back to the Starkville community.
    Big Event Director Catherine Randal said a group of 26 freshmen have been planning and organizing this event all year. Throughout the year, they collected job sites from around the city of Starkville and have organized over 70 teams of student volunteers.
    “They have planned a free kick off breakfast for Friday at 7 a.m. in the Junction for all the participants and have designed a Big Event T-shirt that every participant is encouraged to wear on the day of the Big Event,” she said. “This group of freshmen has dedicated their day to serving alongside each and every team and is excited about the tradition that is being established.”
    Student Association President Thomas Sellers said the Big Event is a way for students to give back to the community
    “It is a time for the students of Mississippi State University to say, ‘Thank you’ to the city of Starkville,” he said.
    Randall said the Big Event encompasses all aspects of volunteer work, making it possible for anyone who wants to volunteer to get involved.
    “Whether it is sorting clothes at the Salvation Army, picking up trash around town or simply visiting with the elderly at a local nursing home there is a variety of ways for students to serve,” she said.
    Sellers said last year, the Big Event had approximately 500 volunteers that made up 50 teams of 10 people and even more are expected this year.
    “We are excited to announce that this year we already have 70 teams for around 700 total student volunteers,” he said. “It is exciting to see the student body so interested and willing to give back to a community that gives us so much during our time here at MSU.”
    Sophomore communication major Ann Ashton Jones said she will be participating as a part of the two groups Lambda Sigma Honor Society has formed.
    “I wanted to do it because last year I didn’t get a chance to, and everyone was talking about it and how much fun it was,” she said.
    Sellers said the teams last year did everything from painting to cleaning up streets and parks, and helping local businesses move locations.
    “It is hard to calculate that all into a number but when you have 500 students working for 1 hour shift between the hours of 8 am and 3 pm, a lot can get done,” he said.
    Sellers said students had the opportunity to officially join a team by visiting the Student Association office or visiting the SA’s Web site.
    “If a student was unable to officially join a team in time, we encourage them to join in the spirit and find something to help with on Friday and join us in giving back to the City of Starkville,” he said.