SA president works to reach out to legislature

It is time for Mississippi State students to finally have their voices heard by the state legislature, according to Student Association President Thomas Sellers. To accomplish this, Sellers has decided to begin a lobbying group on MSU’s campus.
    “The lobbying group is something I ran in my campaign,” Sellers said. “With budget cuts and tough economic times, it is very important that MSU students know that they have a voice with the Mississippi legislature.”
    Sellers said he first saw this issue arise when he was serving on the Executive Council last year and began realizing budget cuts were going to affect MSU students.
    “We started looking at things students could do to help,” Sellers said. “Our university is doing a lot to make sure MSU is represented well, but there are things students can do.”
    Sellers said he investigated other colleges and saw Auburn has a lobbying group similar to the one he wants to start.
    “The purpose is to put a face on higher education so the legislature knows that they are affecting students,” Sellers said. “The lobbying group will serve as a relationship between students and lawmakers in Jackson.”
    This process will begin with Chief of Staff Price Davis, who is creating a new Cabinet position that is going to integrate the lobbying group into Cabinet, Sellers said.
    “This coming year for the Student Association is full of new initiatives that Thomas as well as the rest of the SA Exec are trying to see done,” Davis said. “With Cabinet selections coming up, one of the new positions will be our Director of our student lobbying group.”
    Davis said the position will organize trips to the Capitol, stay in contact with local government officials and establish relationships with these officials, so they are able to put a face on higher education.
    “Education within the state does not get the attention that it deserves, and this can be seen in the drastic budget cuts that all universities within the state are facing,” Davis said. “Our ultimate goal is to have students be able to sit down and talk with these officials one-on-one to let them know what these budget cuts really do mean for education in Mississippi.”
    Interviewing processes to choose students for the group will begin in the fall semester, and students from freshmen to seniors are encouraged to join, Davis said.
    SA Attorney General Nathan Upchurch also campaigned on this idea of a lobbying group and is very excited about the group.
    “I hope that it will reach its full potential by helping the students express their voice to the state legislature on bills concerning students and public universities,” he said. “During these tough economic times, I am glad this lobbying group is being created to ensure that the students’ interests are being heard.”
    Upchurch said they have looked at other schools and how their lobbying groups work.
    “We are trying to implement a group that can really show legislators in Jackson that students really care about policies and legislation that affect their future and education,” Upchurch said.