MSU mourns the loss of longtime professor

The Mississippi State University family mourns the loss of fellow Bulldog and 45-year Department of Communication Professor  Hank Flick, who impacted many students through his teaching.
During his time at MSU, Flick taught small group communication, interviewing, media relations and corporate communications, and served as public address announcer for football and basketball. Flick also served as director of the University Television Center. 
“Hank was a legendary teacher; the best testament to that is the deep impact he made on the countless students he taught over the years,” College of Arts and Sciences Dean Rick Travis said in a MSU release. “The generations of students who had Dr. Flick for a class will still have vivid memories of what they learned. The communication skills he taught are etched deeply into so many MSU alumni.”
Flick, a California native, received both a bachelor’s and master’s degree from Memphis State University, and went on to receive his doctorate degree in interpersonal and small group communication in 1985 from Southern Illinois. 
His dedication to his students never went unnoticed, as Flick was named a MSU Grisham Master Teacher in 1994 and received the honor of Mississippi Professor of the Year from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in 1995. 
A memorial service for Flick will be held at 3 p.m. Friday, June 16, at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Starkville.
Contact Devin Edgar at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter.