Day of service honors Martin Luther King Jr.

OPA | Courtesy Photo

An attendee views the pamphlet which acknowledges the writing competition winners and sponsors of the 2014 Martin Luther King Jr.’s Unity Breakfast and Day of Service.

Mississippi State University will celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. with its 23rd Annual Unity Breakfast and Day of Service, beginning on Monday at 8 a.m. at the Mill Conference Center.
The event is sponsored by the Office of the President, the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President, the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion and the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center. 
Following the breakfast, attendees will hear opening remarks by the university’s chief executive, keynote speaker Larnzy L. Carpenter and performances by MSU’s Black Voices Choir and the First Baptist Church of Longview’s New Horizon Praise Team.
Meggan Franks, assistant director of Student Leadership & Community Engagement for the MSU Volunteer Center, said one of the biggest changes to this year’s event includes the addition of sidewalks and crosswalks, enabling students traveling from campus to safely cross to the Mill. 
Buses will transport volunteers from the Mill to sites across Starkville and Oktibbeha County.
“[There] are a lot of students that don’t have a car,” Franks said, “and [who] want to volunteer and they can.”

In addition, volunteers unfamiliar with the volunteer sites who prefer traveling by bus instead can.
When volunteers arrive they will check-in to receive a wristband indicating which site they will go to.
A wide-range of volunteering opportunities are available for those who participate. The organizations participating include the Palmer Home for Children, Habitat for Humanity’s Resale Store, Camp Seminole, Sam D. Hamilton Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge, Ms. Smith’s Tutoring, Christian World Mission, Oktibbeha County Heritage Museum and Starkville Boys and Girls Club.
Franks said around 400 volunteers participated in last year’s day of service but she expects more volunteers for this year.
Franks said with the possibility of rain in the forecast volunteers should bring their rain jacket or poncho along with a pair of rain boots and gloves. Those volunteering are asked not to wear sandals. 
Franks said although weather conditions for volunteer work are not always be favorable it should not be the foremost thing on a volunteer’s mind.
“If you think about it, you’re doing service to the community,” Franks said. “The last thing you should worry about is whether you’re comfortable.”
Rain has occurred before, but it has not stopped volunteers. No outdoor events will be cancelled unless the weather poses dangers such as thunder and lightning.
De Schmidt, AmeriCorps VISTA for the MSU Food Security Network, who serves as a coordinator for the event, works with logistics to get people where they need to go.
Schmidt said once the unity breakfast concludes, volunteers will work from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at their designated work sites. Following their service, volunteers who need transportation will be shuttled back to the Mill.
“You come out, you can have breakfast and hear a great speaker,” Schmidt said. Then, you get on a bus, go volunteer or walk to your service site, [and] do some community service. You’re home before two.”
Hannah Holetz, a junior psychology major and receptionist at the Maroon Volunteer Center, said she is looking forward to the warm weather forecasted for Monday. 
Alicia Hu, office associate for the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, said she expects a bigger turnout this year than last year because the event’s keynote speaker, Larnzy L. Carpenter, is from Starkville.
Last year, Hu said, the event drew so many that the overflow room in the Colvard Student Union had to be opened. Even with the overflow room, there was still not enough room for everyone. This year, Hu said, they have almost the entire Mill rented out for the event.
Bria Henderson, a communication student and student worker with the Office of Institutional Diversity, said what she likes most about the event, is seeing so many people come out and support the message the breakfast tries to convey.
“It’s really nice to see people from the community come out on a Monday morning and support something that represent unity,” Henderson said.
Anyone planning on attending the event, may visit www.mlkdaystarkville.com to register. Registration by Friday is encouraged.