Bulldogs pick up five-star transfer

Vic Schaefer and the No. 4 Mississippi State women’s basketball team added another 5-star recruit, rated by ESPN, to their squad. Jordan Danberry joined the squad at the beginning of the spring semester after transferring from the Arkansas Razorbacks. She spent her freshman year there and playing in six games this season.

In the six games she played, she averaged 12 minutes, 4.7 points, 3.8 rebounds, 0.7 assists and 0.3 steals per game. She shot 42.1 percent from the field (8 of 19), 66.7 percent (2 of 3) from 3-point range and 76.9 percent (10 of 13) from the free-throw line.

Schaefer said she is excited about Danberry coming into the program and knows she will be a fantastic addition to the squad.

“Jordan is a great fit for our program,” Schaefer said. “I’m really excited about her joining us at Mississippi State. We recruited her hard out of a very good Conway High School program, and once we heard that she was looking to transfer, we were excited about having the opportunity to possibly have her join us at Mississippi State. She is a young lady who will be very effective in our style of play. Anytime you can add the Gatorade Player of the Year from the state of Arkansas, you are getting a quality player.”

She was named the 2014 Arkansas Gatorade Player of the Year after averaging 15.7 points, 6.8 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 2.7 steals. She was the top recruit in Arkansas’ 2015 class, No. 47 overall in the nation and No. 14 point guard.

During her freshman year at Arkansas, she played in all 30 games and started 13 of those. She averaged 19.2 minutes per game. In 10 of her 30 games, she scored double digits, seven of which were SEC games. She finished third on the team in 6.7 ppg, and finished first on the team with 70 assists and fourth on the team with 27 steals. 

Danberry said she is already a fan of Mississippi State and she feels the love from the Starkville community.

“I’m extremely excited to be here. I feel like Mississippi State fits my style of play, and Coach Schaefer has developed a winning program here,” Danberry said. “My teammates and the coaches have made me feel welcome. It’s a great environment where I can focus on my studies and basketball. Everyone on campus from the bus drivers to the fans have been genuinely nice.”

Danberry will be eligible to play starting the spring 2018 semester.