Anne Elizabeth Buys departs for Miss America

Susan McCarty | Miss Mississippi Corporation
Anne Elizabeth Buys departs for Miss America Pageant

Anne Elizabeth Buys dreamed of becoming Miss Mississippi since she was three years old.
At seven years old, she performed as a junior dancer in Miss Mississippi pageants. Later, she would become a Magnolia Princess for two years before winning Miss Mississippi’s Outstanding Teen 2013.
After years of dedication, Buys achieved her childhood dream and became Miss Mississippi 2017.
“I tell my mother every day it feels like I’m in a dream and haven’t woken up yet,” Buys said.
A dream does not come true without relentless dedication.
Buys spends a large part of each of her days reading current events, exercising, practicing her talent—ballet en pointe—serving others through various platforms and strengthening her communications skills.
“Every aspect of this pageant helps you become a more well-rounded person,” Buys said. “It’s given me great communication skills. I can walk in a room of 20 or 500 or 5,000 and feel confident in who I am and what I stand for—and this organization has allowed me to discover that.”
Above all else, Buys said connecting with and serving others is her favorite part of the Miss America Organization.
“I believe that I have been placed here to serve others and to let them know that they have a wonderful purpose for their life. Through this organization, I have been able to do just that,” Buys said. “Whether its through Children’s Miracle Network hospitals and just hugging a child and providing a smile on their faces or working through my platform, Water for Life, this is what I love most.”
Water for Life, an idea created by Buys, is sponsored by Operation Blessing International. Buys raises funds for both local and global water crises; then, Operation Blessing International determines the greatest need for water at the given time. The entire process can take up to six months to ensure money raised is given care and commitment.
So far, Buys has raised money for over 63,000 bottles of clean water. 
“We immediately think of water problems being a crisis in third-world countries, but surprisingly, here in America, we have them, too,” Buys said. “From Flint, Michigan to Jackson, Mississippi, to Baton Rouge—all these places are in need of clean water, and we have thankfully been able to provide them that.”
When Buys is not busy caring for others, she cares for herself by embracing a healthy lifestyle.
“Through the physical fitness aspect of the competitions, I have learned what it means to truly embrace living a healthy lifestyle,” Buys said. “Living a healthy lifestyle has nothing to with what you look like on the outside. It has everything to do with fueling your body, taking care of it, and making sure it feels good.”
While this amount of work may be exhausting for some, Buys finds constant purpose and strength through her faith.
“I’m a Christian, so my faith plays a big part in grounding me. I believe God’s really given me a passion to serve people, and this is a wonderful avenue to serve people through,” Buys said. “It’s not just about a pageant to me—it’s about the whole experience and the journey along the way.”
Soon, after years of dreaming, Buys’ journey will continue to the Miss America pageant with the support of her family and community.
Buys will fly to Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Tuesday, August 29th to begin preparation for the Miss America competition.