MSU student begins her illustrating career with ‘Legend’

Carly Melton, a senior fine arts major at Mississippi State University, recently accomplished an artist’s dream—publication.
Partnered with writer Julie McAlpin, Melton created lifelike images to match the unique story of “Legend,” a children’s book with a special message.
Melton’s passion for art dates back into childhood. Melton said her mother used to say, “You’ve wasted so much paper in your life that you might as well be something.”
While she was an artistic child, Melton credits her Drawing I course for teaching her beyond her own experiences. She said she has grown more serious about art since her freshman year.
Melton said her favorite muse is the human figure, because she enjoys people-watching.
Three years with the Figure Drawing Club has also granted Melton an appreciation for body language, which she said she incorporates into representational pieces.
Melton started attending club sessions her freshman year, and she said she has met many of the most influential people in her life through the figure drawing club. She also said she has gained an emotional connection to the group.
She is now the club’s president.
The book she illustrated, “Legend,” tells the tale of a seven-fingered girl who sets out to save the world from a tentacled monster.
The fictional heroine holds a special place in the heart of author Julie McAlpin. McAlpin said the girl is inspired by McAlpin’s own daughter, Brigitta, who lost three fingers and a foot after the amniotic cord wrapped around them in the womb.
McAlpin said relatable fictional characters were an inspiration throughout her childhood and, after receiving the news her daughter would need a prosthetic foot, McAlpin realized she could not think of a famous princess with a prosthesis.
McAlpin said the idea behind the book came to her about 10 minutes after Brigitta was born. “Legend” is dedicated to children in special situations, and the book opens with an encouraging message for kids to embrace their differences and “light up the world.”
“I want all children, no matter what their situations may be, to know that their differences make them very extraordinary heroes and heroines,” McAlpin said.
Along with many other fine arts students, Melton submitted her portfolio to McAlpin when the MSU alumna came to the arts department in search of an illustrator.
The author said Melton’s artwork was something she had previously only dreamed of.
“When she first sent me an illustration for my book to see if I liked it, I actually cried,” McAlpin said. “It was exactly what I had envisioned.”
“Legend” was published in May of this year. McAlpin said “Legend” is the first book of a series, and Melton confirmed she will illustrate the next edition.
In the meantime, the fine arts student will continue to work on her senior thesis.
Melton said she is beyond thankful for the opportunity presented by “Legend.”
“It feels good to be published at this age,” Melton said, “and to have a foot in the door of the industry.”
Melton said she has one piece of advice to other young artists.
“Put in effort,” Melton said. “Freshman year isn’t just about your art. It’s about community as much as your work. Everybody needs somebody.”