Habitat for Humanity gives back to Starkville residents

Rachel Bowman | The Reflector
Habitat For Humanity Gives Back To Starkville Residents

The Starkville Area Habitat for Humanity works to build one house each fall and spring, providing a pair of opportunities for Mississippi State University students to participate and volunteer.

Joel Downey, executive director of the Starkville Habitat for Humanity, said choosing a family to build a home for is an in-depth process.

“Applicants must fill out an application and meet basic requirements,” Downey said. “The family must be residents of Oktibbeha County for the past year, under 80 percent of the median adjusted income, have income sufficient to repay an approximate $500 mortgage and must have a demonstrated need for better housing.”

Downey said an applicant’s proof of income and credit card report is needed to continue the process.

“If the credit report does not show excessive debt and/or judgments and liens, they move to the next phase,” Downey said. “Each remaining candidate is interviewed by the Family Selection Committee and the basic rules of becoming a partner are explained. The Family Selection Committee then does home visits on the applicants to see their current living conditions.”

A home is being built on 101 Owen St. for Kareema Gillon and her two children. Gillon displayed the eagerness to help her family and displayed accomplishments through her job at McDonald’s.

Her current home has electrical problems, soft spots on the floor and a large drop from the back door to the concrete steps.

Rob Montgomery, a graduate assistant for the Maroon Volunteer Center, said the best way to sign up to volunteer is through OrgSync.

“Anyone, over 18 or with parental permission, can volunteer,” he said. “Volunteers will sign up to say they’ll be there, and then just show up. Afterwards, they can log their hours through the site too. The volunteer hours accumulated can go to anything they would like.”

The Starkville Area Habitat for Humanity is also trying to establish a campus chapter of Habitat for Humanity at MSU.

The organization is currently searching for volunteers to help with its upcoming project. No prior building experience is needed.

Anyone who is interested in participating can call the Habitat for Humanity office at 662-324-7008 and ask for Andrew.

The upcoming opportunities to volunteer are Sept. 14 through 16 and 21 through 23, and Oct. 5 through 7, 12 through 14, 19 through 21, and 26 through 28. Shifts each day are from 8 to 11:30 a.m. and from 1 to 4:30 p.m.

For more information about the project or Habitat for Humanity, contact Amanda Henry at the organization’s Starkville office. She can be reached by email, at [email protected] or by phone, at 662-324-7008.