Bulldog soccer unable to score in overtime match against Auburn

There is a one-versus-one for Mississippi State University (7-1-3, 1-1-2 SEC) soccer as they race on a counter with a chance to win the game in overtime; Gracie East, a forward for MSU soccer, takes the shot and puts it over the goal just high.

This was one of the 15 shots State took on Friday night, and senior Payton Gruenewald took two shots on goal. None found the back of the net in a double overtime contest with Auburn University (5-3-3, 2-0-2 SEC), which ended in a scoreless tie.

“Going into OT, our big thing was trying to be urgent with the ball, get it forward, forward thinking and forward playing,” Gruenewald said. “We were just trying to get as many chances as we could. We gave them everything we had and we wanted it bad, but unfortunately we came out with the tie.”  

Gruenewald said the game was frustrating for her and the Bulldogs because they also had a shot rattle off the post in the second half and missed other chances to win the game, but they will look to use that as motivation going into the next game.

“All week you’re working on generating these things and generating them in the game, and then we just couldn’t find the back of the net. They played a great game too so it was hard,” Gruenewald said. “We will definitely use this motivation, the anger from the tie, and the want for the win and take it to South Carolina.”

Although the game was frustrating, there was also some moral victories about the game for head coach Tom Anagnost, who was pleased with how the team played.

“I liked the effort tonight, I liked the commitment to finishing the game, I liked the urgency we displayed at the end of the game,” Anagnost said. “I thought our character in the second overtime was very good and I’m very proud.”

Anagnost saw some improvements to be made from this game when it comes to possession of the ball and decision making, but overall he felt the team created quality chances.

“We definitely had the better chances, and you wish you could finish those. We had more of the dangerous chances and we really didn’t give up much,” Anagnost said. “Auburn is a good team they are really well coached, and they are a great program.”

Gruenewald saw the game as a good character learning experience for the team, even though they were unable to break the deadlock and win the game.

“A lot of character moments, just continuing to press them, and continuing to work hard for each other, getting forward for the team and getting back, and recovering for each other so it was a good character development game for us.” Gruenewald said.

Anagnost believes his team will take this tie as a positive, and remain hungry for the win against South Carolina.

“We are pleased with what happened, but we are definitely not satisfied,” Anagnost said. “We are always the group that is going to want more.”