Large turnout at MSU’s cheese store for free ice cream

Mississippi State University’s MAFES Sales Store was filled with students, faculty, staff and other Bulldogs as the store offered free ice cream cones Friday as part of National Ice Cream Month.

The line extended out the door as people tried different flavors. Some of the flavors included chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream and a popular flavor called muscadine ripple, which is made with muscadine grapes.

It was not just the patrons who got in on the free ice cream fun. Even some of the student workers said they enjoyed the free ice cream. Kayla Brownlee, a rising sophomore pre-veterinary medicine major from Winona, is a cashier at the store.

“I had three free cones, they were chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla,” Brownlee said. “They were amazing.”

Another cashier, Hayden West, a junior elementary education major from Laurel said she liked the ice cream offered and also the turnout.

“I tried the coffee flavor and it was great.” West said. “I’ve only worked here for three weeks and it’s really fun with the big crowd.”

One of the patrons, Cathy Sims, waited in line for her ice cream. Sims, a rising senior marketing and finance double major from Meridian, said she could not wait to get her hands on the free ice cream cone, especially since it was made here on campus.

“I’m very excited to get my free ice cream cone because I love ice cream,” Sims said. “The fact that it’s made here shows what our school can do.”

During the free ice cream distribution, patrons were invited into a classroom in the Herzer Food Science Building on Stone Boulevard, where they could view the production of the MSU milk as well as its famous Edam cheese, among other products.

The MAFES Sales Store is located in the glass annex in front of the Herzer Building at 925 Stone Boulevard. It features a plethora of products processed on campus by the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station’s Custer Dairy Processing Plant.

Contact Jordan Darensbourg at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter.