Second chance for MSU secondary; Bulldogs take on Wildcats for Homecoming

Olivia Zeringue | The Reflector

Cameron Danztler, freshman cornerback from Hammond, Louisiana, lines up against a Charleston Southern receiver in MSU’s season opener.

The Bulldog secondary aims to fix its communication issues before this Saturday as Mississippi State University (4-2, 1-2 SEC) reenters conference play against the University of Kentucky (5-1, 2-1 SEC).
With 5:54 left in the second quarter, MSU led BYU 14-0. The Cougars lined up with a bunch formation on the left side with a runner in the backfield. As the ball was snapped, the three Cougar receivers bolted down the field to run their routes.
BYU quarterback Tanner Mangum faked a toss to the running back which momentarily froze the linebackers and safeties in pass coverage. Under duress, Mangum rolled to his right and heaved the ball to a wide-open BYU receiver for a 43-yard completion. MSU fans let out a collective groan as they witnessed another large gain through the air due to a miscommunication, a reoccurring problem this season.
Corners coach Terrell Buckley explained pre-snap reads are similar to a game of telephone in the sense that the linebackers communicate with the safeties who have to communicate with the corners.
“The safeties make the check or calls and the corners have to relay it back and so it starts there, but it’s really the whole back seven: corners, safeties and linebackers all being on the same page,” Buckley said.
Buckley also said it comes down to players understanding the game plan and knowing their job as offenses reload into a different formation or bring players into motion. Buckley also said the Wildcats use motions to generate advantageous matchups on offense.
Redshirt freshman cornerback Cam Dantzler said the Bulldogs’ two losses are due to miscommunication in the secondary.
“The defensive line is getting a good push on every play and the linebackers are doing their job,” Dantzler said. “The secondary just has to communicate better, because we have been getting beat on long plays. If we executed on those long plays we would be undefeated right now.”
Dantzler also said the Wildcats have a talented group of wide receivers who are all big physical players. Dantzler aims to increase his physicality at the line of scrimmage in order to hinder the UK passing attack.
Junior cornerback Chris Rayford said he believes a solution to the miscommunication on the field originates in the film room.
“We are slowing down and studying what can hurt us as far as specific receivers and routes,” Rayford said. “We are also understanding the defense better and talk with the safeties to understand where they are going to be during certain plays.”
Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said a successful pass rush forces opposing quarterbacks to get rid of the ball before they are ready which often leads to success in the secondary.
“The interception last week Brandon (Bryant) had wasn’t because of a sack but the quarterback had a choice, ‘either I’m going to throw this ball right now or I’m going to get hit’,” Grantham said. “He chose to throw it and it led to the interception.”
Grantham was quick to praise the UK offense for finding ways to win close games. Grantham said the Wildcat offense uses formations and motions in order to soften the edges in the running game. In addition, Grantham said the UK senior quarterback Stephen Johnson II has demonstrated his abilities to pass and throw the ball at a high level.
“If a play breaks down he (Johnson) can bide time and make a throw downfield or can take off and run so we are accounting for that,” Grantham said.
Both coaches and players alike commented on the need for home-field support this weekend especially against the second-ranked team in the SEC East. The SEC network will televise the game at 3 p.m. and during halftime MSU will honor the 2017 homecoming court and Mr. and Mrs. MSU.
“We seem to have some pretty tough battles with them year in and year out so we have the benefit of being at home for the second week in a row and hopefully we get a huge crowd and our fans give us the home-field advantage that we need,” said head football coach Dan Mullen.