Spain is destroying its own democratic reliability

The Western World has long been defined by two concepts: sovereignty and self-determination. Sovereignty is essentially a state’s inherent right to govern itself.
This means, internationally, states are the highest power.
Although the argument can be made organizations like the United Nations, NATO and International Monetary Fund have some measure of power and control, the only influence they have comes from agreements between states.
Because states are the highest international power, we must ask ourselves how new states are formed. The answer has always been and will continue to be through revolution, whether peaceful or violent.
Within the past 20 years alone, we have seen nationalistic and cultural movements toward secession from groups like the Kurds in Iraq, the state of Kashmir in India, South Sudan and, in recent news (although not a recent development), the Catalonians in Spain.
Catalonia is an autonomous commonwealth, although it is officially a political entity ruled by Spain and is located in the northeast part of the country on the border of France.
When I say autonomous, I mean Catalonia practically rules itself. They elect their own president, create laws through their own parliament and speak their own language, Catalan. From an outside perspective, Catalonia already appears to be its own state.
The issues we are seeing in the current political climate arise from the complex relationship between Catalonia and Spain.
Although it only comprises 16 percent of Spain’s population, Catalonia is responsible for a quarter of all exports and 23 percent of all Spanish industry, according to Everett Rosenfeld for CNBC.
Catalonia is also home to Barcelona, one of the largest urban centers in Spain. If Catalonia does eventually secede from Spain, the new state will not have any problems supporting themselves financially.
However, it’s vital to view this situation from Spain’s perspective. If Catalonia is 23 percent of Spanish GDP, what happens if they secede? The amount of capital and labor lost would be disastrous to the Spanish economy.
Without a political grip on Catalonia, it would be impossible for Spain to exert the same economic influence they do currently. Catalonia would become an independent economic force on the Iberian Peninsula, one Spain would no longer be able to control.
With this perspective in mind, let us look at the events that have taken place in the past couple of weeks in Catalonia. In the beginning of September, the Catalonian government announced they would hold a referendum concerning independence on Oct. 1.
Needless to say, Spain was displeased with this announcement, and weeks before the referendum was set to take place, the Spanish government announced the referendum was in violation of the 1978 Spanish constitution.
According to The Economist, it is in direct violation of Spain’s constitution, which was voted in by 90 percent of the Catalan population.
According to Sam Jones for The Guardian, in the week leading up to Oct. 1, 14 Catalonian officials were arrested, and the Spanish police seized over 10 million ballot papers.
The tension in the air on Sept. 31 must have been palpable. The Spanish government stated it would be deploying police forces to take control of polling stations. However, the Catalonian government responded, saying it would deploy its own forces to ensure a safe and free referendum for their citizens.
As polling stations opened the morning of Oct 1, it was clear there was going to be conflict.
Spanish police forces did not hesitate to remove poll workers and voters alike from polling stations. According to Hannah Strange and James Badcock for The Telegraph, as of Oct. 2, there were around 850 reported injuries caused by clashes between the Spanish police and Catalonian citizens.
As mentioned above, the Western World, which Spain is undeniably a part of, has always been characterized by a shift from monarchy to democracy.
With all the emphasis on free and fair elections worldwide, the worst image a country can create for itself is one that is tyrannical and against democracy.
Though Spain’s actions are politically understandable, especially given the inevitable consequences of a Catalonian secession, its actions over the past few days have shown the world they will not let Catalonia go without a fight.
Furthermore, they will disregard the results of the referendum as unconstitutional and inconsequential, which will inevitably lead to more conflict within the region.