Gun control alone can stop mass shootings

I own several guns and have shot many more. I understand the infatuation. Ever since I was a kid, I have been in love with revolvers. I loved the idea of a gunslinger, against the world, with nothing but his grit, spit and six shooter at his side.
My interest grew when my dad gave me his old rifle. Later, when my dad bought me a shotgun, we would shoot skeet together with friends from our church. I cannot lie and say shooting is not fun because it is. I enjoy shooting guns, plain and simple.
However, I can see there is a problem. On Oct. 1, America witnessed the worst mass shooting in modern history.
Fifty-nine people died and over 500 were wounded. Those staggering numbers were only made possible by the shooter’s massive and powerful arsenal. Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock had a whopping 23 guns.
He purchased all of his guns legally, raising no red flags. 
What can America do to prevent these mass shootings? After all, they keep happening.
According to the Gun Violence Archive, there were 273 mass shootings from Jan. 1 to Oct. 4, 2017, which resulted in at least four deaths or injuries per shooting. There is an average of seven and a half mass shootings a week—a sobering statistic.
Gun control is not a new answer to the problem. Every time a shooting receives national attention, a politician introduces a gun control bill, everyone talks about “thoughts and prayers” and the bill is crushed under the weight of National Rifle Association lobbyists.
However, gun control is our only option. Thoughts and prayers alone have proved ineffective, as the mass shootings are still happening. 
The frequency of mass shootings has stayed the same since the 1980s, but the death tolls have risen dramatically.
The few studies conducted show gun control has promising results. An Australian study found after the government implemented a buyback program for guns, death tolls dropped.
Buying back 3,500 guns per 100,000 people correlated with a 50 percent decrease in firearm homicide and a 74 percent drop in gun suicide.
Additionally, according to Epidemiological Review, “The simultaneous implementation of laws targeting multiple firearm restrictions is associated with reductions in firearm deaths.”
This is not to say gun control will solve all of the problems. People will still die from guns, no matter the amount of background checks, licenses and renewals required to own one. However, zero gun control saves no one. 
Do not misinterpret. I am not in support of the government taking away guns. I still think guns can and should be a part of American society, although it may just be my own history influencing my opinion.
Maybe I am still holding out hope that one day, I can still be a lone gunslinger, carving his path in the world. However, I am willing to deal with regulations if it means saving lives. 

Dylan Bufkin
Dylan Bufkin, Former Editor-in-Chief
Dylan Bufkin served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2020 to 2021. He also served as the Opinion Editor from 2019 to 2020.