Maroon Friday will turn red to honor veterans

Mississippi State University’s Veterans Association will host events honoring veterans and members of the military throughout this week, culminating with members of the armed forces being honored at the MSU football game against the University of Alabama.
Since the early years of its institution, MSU has had an active role in supporting and training military personnel.
From World War I to present conflicts, MSU has trained and provided schooling for military veterans and students seeking careers in military fields. This system has grown for many years, winning the university high honors from military associations.
In 2015, Military Order of the Purple Heart designated MSU as a “Purple Heart University” for its outstanding service to veterans, and in 2016 Military Time voted MSU number 44 on the publication’s “Best for Vets” list.
These honors were further cemented by the construction of Nusz Hall which houses the Veteran’s Association. The VA tends to the student veterans who utilize the building, and plans events with the intent to help honor MSU’s commitment to veterans, the military and military families.
This week is an auspicious continuation of a tradition the VA introduced into MSU culture within the past few years. For three years, the VA has held events such as the annual Veteran’s 5K run.
The VA will host a veteran’s writing and art gala at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Nusz hall and a welcome home ceremony for Vietnam veterans at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Leo Seal Jr. Football Complex.
The VA encourages all to come and honor the veterans.
The association will screen the film “Hornet’s Nest” at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Fowlke’s Auditorium.
The VA will host its third annual 5K run at 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Sign-up for the run is online, and there will be a 1-mile walk enabling all to participate and support the veterans.
“It’s a great chance and a great honor to help serve the men and women of the armed forces like this–it gives me a lot of pride in what we accomplish together,” said Cy Johnson, an ROTC student and volunteer organizer for the 5K.
At 10 a.m. Friday, the VA will hold a veteran’s recognition ceremony on the Drill Field. MSU President Mark Keenum is the guest speaker for this event.
Nusz Hall and the VA request students wear red on Maroon Friday. The color represents the acronym Remember Everyone Deployed, and will show support for the troops.
Nusz Hall will also sell special t-shirts for $15 on Friday.