The students’ view: the Mississippi State view of Thursday’s game

Olivia Zeringue | The Reflector

In preparation for Thursday’s game, our sports editor Taylor Rayburn answered some questions sent by The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper at Ole Miss, to preview the game.  

We’ve seen that Mississippi State’s defense can hang with the best offenses in the nation. How does the Bulldogs’ secondary matchup against Ole Miss’ dominant receiving core?

Starkville native A.J. Brown is probably the best receiver in the conference and will most likely have some big plays for Ole Miss on Thursday, but MSU has the players to match him. While the weak point of a dominant defense, MSU is still ninth in the country in pass yards allowed. MSU has the length at corner with Jamal Peters and Tolando Cleveland having someone to match up with Brown on the outside. The talent behind Brown in D.K. Metcalf, Van Jefferson and DeMarkus Lodge will be a problem for MSU. Overall, MSU’s secondary will keep them in check but will give up a big play or two.

Outside of quarterback Nick Fitzgerald, who is a player on MSU’s offense to watch going into Thursday’s game? 

Fitzgerald always produces for MSU, but running back Aeris Williams is the player who takes MSU’s offense to the next level. When Williams runs well, it presents opposing defenses with too much to stop. They cannot key in on Fitzgerald, and instead worry about the handoff making all three parts of MSU’s run-pass-option plays a threat. When he struggles, the offense becomes to one-dimensional and is much easier to stop.

How does the MSU offensive line matchup with an outstanding Ole Miss pass rush?

MSU might have the overall best offensive line in the conference. The unit ranks fifth in the country in sacks allowed, only giving up eight across 11 games. Usually a weakness the past couple years, the offensive line is the surprise of this team and has protected Fitzgerald well all season long. Fitzgerald being a big and mobile quarterback  that can shake off or dodge defenders also helps. If MSU was able to get push against Alabama and LSU, I think they will be fine against the Ole Miss front.

Mississippi State is currently a 17-point favorite. Do you think that’s a fair assessment based on how the two teams have played this season? 

I think so, MSU is ranked as the 16th team in the country according to the College Football Playoff Rankings and Ole Miss recently lost at home to Texas A&M, a team MSU blew out in College Station. Ole Miss lost to Alabama 66-3, MSU took the Crimson Tide down to the wire. MSU on paper is a the overall better team in all three phases of the game, but it is the Egg Bowl and anything can happen.

For the Bulldogs to keep their winning ways, what needs to happen and what is your score prediction? 

MSU is better at every position but wide receiver. Fitzgerald and Williams will gash the Ole Miss defense all night long for gains of five and six yards and eventually break off a couple big plays after wearing the defense down. The defense will give up one or two big plays but will otherwise hold Ole Miss in check. Mullen will then pour it on Ole Miss like he always has and MSU will run away with the game in the second half by a score of 45-14.