Marijuana needs to be legalized for medicinal use

While​​ marijuana ​​is ​​debatably​ ​not harmful ​​in​ ​technical ​​terms, ​​many​ ​people ​​consider ​​it to ​​be a​​ gateway​​ drug,​​ something which​​ allows​​ worse​​ drugs ​​into​​ the​​ comfort​​ zone​​ of ​​users.
Because ​​marijuana​ has similar effects to alcohol, many people have become desensitized to the use of the drug.
According to Janice Williams at Newsweek,​​ “​a​​​ Harvard-Harris​​ Poll​​ survey​​ found​​ a​​ majority ​​of​​ voters—some​​ 57​​ percent—thought​​ making​​ marijuana​​ legal across ​​all ​​50 ​​states​​ would​​ make​​ society​​ better.”
However, ​​​those​​ numbers​​ are​​ including ​​the​​ number​​ of​​ people​​ who​​ think ​​the ​​drug should​​ be ​​legalized ​​only for​ ​medical ​​use.
Whether​​ marijuana ​​users​​ like ​​it​​ or ​​not,​​ there ​​are ​​studies ​​showing​​ ​​it​​ is​​ a gateway​​ drug. Because ​​it​​ can​​ get ​​people​​ in​​ a ​​relaxed​​ mindset​​ about ​​other,​​ more​​ physically​​ addictive drugs,​​ it ​​is ​​dangerous ​​and ​​should ​​not ​​be ​​legally ​​in​​ the​​ hands​​ of ​​everyone.
While​​ the ​​drug​​ can ​​be ​​helpful ​​to​​ people ​​in ​​pain​​ needing​​ relief,​​ everyone​​ else using ​​the​​ drug​​ is​​ using ​​it​​ to​​ escape​​ ​​a reality​​ they​​ will​​ eventually have​​ to ​​come​​ back​​ to.
A​​ recent​​ study by the National Institute on Drug Abuse ​found​​​​ “[A]dults​​ who​​ reported ​​marijuana ​​use ​​during ​​the​​ first​​ wave​​ of​​ the survey​​ were ​​more ​​likely​​ than​​ adults​​ who ​​did​​ not ​​use​​ marijuana​​ to​​ develop​​ an​​ alcohol​​ use disorder​​ within​​ 3​​ years.”
Marijuana​​ does ​​allow​​ people ​​to ​​think more​​ openly​​ about​​ the​​ use​​ of​​ other ​​drugs,​​ which​​ allows​​ them​​ to​​ become ​​addicted. Legalizing​​ this​​ drug​​ for​​ recreational​​ use would​​ only ​​create​​ problems​​, and​​ invite​​ more addicts ​​into ​​society.
Despite ​​negative​​ effects​​​​ marijuana​​ would​​ have​​ on ​​the ​​society,​​ many​​ argue​​​​ it should ​​be​​ legalized​ ​because​​​ “cross-sensitization ​​is​​ not​​ unique​​ to​​ marijuana.​​ Alcohol​​ and​​ nicotine also​​ prime​​ the ​​brain ​​for ​​a ​​heightened​​ response ​​to ​​other​​ drugs​​ and​​ are, ​​like​​ marijuana, ​​also typically​​ used ​​before​​ a​​ person​​ progresses​​ to ​​other, ​​more​​ harmful​​ substances.”
According to Williams at Newsweek, “60 percent ​​of ​​voters ​​do ​​believe​​ that ​​crime ​​is ​​on​​ the ​​rise,​​ with​​ 40 ​​percent​​ saying ​​drugs​​ are​​ the leading​​ contributor​​ to​ ​crime​​ in ​​America​.” This​​ data ​​shows​​ despite​​ people’s ​​ideas ​​to​​ legalize​​ marijuana,​​ the​​ majority ​​of​​ citizens still​​ believe​​ an increased use ​​of​​ marijuana ​​would​​ result​​ in ​​more​​ crime ​​overall.
However​​ negative ​​legalizing ​​this​​ drug​​ for ​​recreational ​​use​​ would ​​be ​​in ​​the​​ U.S., ​​it​​ would ​​provide​​ excellent​​ results ​​for​​ the ​​medical,​​ scientific​​ side ​​of things.
While ​​in ​​certain​​ hands, ​​it​​ could ​​be ​​catastrophic​​ to ​​the​​ people ​​as​​ a​​ whole; ​​but for​​ research purposes​​ and​​ medicinal use,​​ marijuana ​​should ​​be​​ legal.
In another study by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, because​​​ cannabinoids,​​ the​​ chemical​​ found​​ in​​ marijuana, ​​can​​ possibly ​​provide​​ relief ​​and help​​ for​​ people​​ with ​​certain​​ conditions, I believe ​​it​​ should ​​be ​​legally​​ prescribed ​​to​​ specific ​​patients. Marijuana, ​​specifically, is ​​being​​ ​​looked​​ at ​​as ​​a ​​possible way ​​to ​​treat ​​childhood​​ epilepsy, ​​but more​​ research​​ on​​ the ​​subject is necessary.
However,​​ the​​ drug can easily be abused ​​if​​ it​​ is completely ​​legalized, and for ​​the ​​most​​ part,​​ the​​ people ​​who​​ are​​ fighting​​ to​​ legalize​​ it​​ are ​​the ​​people​​ who​​ do ​​not​​ need it for medical reasons.
While ​​marijuana​​ would​​ be​​ productive​​ if ​​legal ​​for​​ medical​​ purposes​​ only,​​ allowing ​​it​ ​to ​​be used ​​recreationally​​ could​​ potentially​​ open​​ up​​ a​​ set​​ of ​​floodgates​​ introducing ​​more harmful drugs​​ into society.