After falling behind early, MSU strikes back to tie Arkansas going into halftime

No. 16 Mississippi State University looked to be off to a quick start, forcing a three and out against the University of Arkansas on the Razorbacks’ first drive, but an unlucky play for MSU left them falling behind early. MSU regained momentum in the second quarter, tying the game at 14 going into halftime.

Arkansas’ punt barely traveled over 25 yards and it hit the back of MSU’s Cameron Dantzler and Arkansas recovered. The Razorbacks would take advantage and score quickly thereafter to go up 7-0.

MSU’s defense was able to get off the field but the offense would make the miscue this time around. With the ball on their own 5-yard line, MSU running back Nick Gibson fumbled and the ball rolled into the endzone and was recovered by the Razorbacks for a touchdown, giving

Arkansas a 14-0 lead after playing half the first quarter.

The teams continued to trade punts going into the second quarter until MSU scored with 5:17 left in the half.

Looking at 4th and 10 on the Arkansas 35, quarterback Nick Fitzgerald zipped a pass in to wide receiver Jesse Jackson, who made the catch in traffic for a first down and a 17-yard gain. Fitzgerald scored on the next play, an 18-yard run and cut the lead to 14-7 in Arkansas’ favor.

The punt return team made up for their earlier mistake. Arkansas looked to punt but MSU brought pressure and the Arkansas punter realized the punt was about to be blocked. He brought the ball down and attempted to run for the first down. He was stopped at the 17-yard line and MSU’s offense took advantage of the field position, later scoring on an 8-yard run by running back Aeris Williams and tied the game at 14 with 2:18 left in the first half.

MSU’s defense bent but did not break on Arkansas’ last drive, leaving the game in a tie at halftime.

Defensively, Montez Sweat led the Bulldogs with 2.5 sacks. On offense, Fitzgerald went 6-10 through the air for 60 yards. He also ran the ball eight times for 31 yards and a touchdown.

Williams led MSU in rushing, running the ball 10 times for 32 yards.

Follow at @STaylorRayburn from live updates as MSU tries to break the tie in the second half.