Refuge proposes one-dollar increase for full-time access

The Sam D. Hamilton Noxubee Wildlife Refuge is proposing a dollar increase on Mississippi State University students’ parking permits for year-long access to the Refuge.
According to junior forestry major William Griffin, visitors are usually charged with an entrance fee of $5 a day or $25 a year. However, if the increase is approved, the Refuge will let students with a Mississippi State parking decal in for free.
“The one dollar increase to the price of student parking decals will allow a student’s decal to serve as an annual pass to the Noxubee Wildlife Refuge,” Griffin said. “It isn’t a well-known fact, but technically to enter the refuge you must buy a yearly pass, $25 dollars, or a day pass, $5.”
The funds from the five dollar increase in parking decals will not only go to granting MSU students access to the Refuge, but  will also support daily operations such as trail or ground maintenance, vehicle upkeep and other operations.
According to a press release by freshman council member Blake Williams, most students who took the online survey on whether or not there should be an increase in the charge of an annual parking permits support their change.
“I think this is a fantastic idea, and would support up to a $20 increase if needed. I love the Refuge, and paying $20 is cheaper than a year’s permit to the Refuge,” junior Allyson Krebs said.
However, Griffin said that any student who does not understand the impact the Refuge has might be difficult to convince to pay an extra dollar; those who have gone to the Refuge will see the benefits and importance of the dollar increase.
“It may be hard to convince the students who do not understand the significance or importance of the Refuge to pay the extra dollar. I would tell these students to do some homework. Research all of the important wildlife that lives on our 84,000 acre refuge, or take a drive south and marvel at the beautiful old-growth timber down in the swamps,” Griffin said.
On Feb. 15, the Sam D. Hamilton Noxubee Wildlife Refuge was established on June 14, 1940 for the purpose of being a refuge and breeding ground for migratory birds and other wildlife creatures. It also works towards restoring, conserving and managing wildlife, fish, plant resources and their inhabitants for the benefit of present and future generations.
The Refuge protects wildlife, and also provides outdoor activities that people can enjoy.
“The Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge is owned and managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,” Griffin said. “The refuge is about 84,000 acres in size, and is a safe haven for outdoorsmen and wildlife alike. Among other things, the Refuge offers us fishing, hiking, bird watching, kayaking, canoeing and so much more. It is a place where wildlife is respected, protected, and preserved.”
According Griffin, the Refuge is also used by the College of Forest Resources at MSU to conduct research. This has led to discoveries on how to keep the water and air clean, preserve wildlife habitats and effectively manage forests in the southeast.
“This semester we [freshman council] decided to focus our attention on policies and improvements we can bring to Mississippi State University and the Starkville community,” Williams said.