The Super Bowl is coming: tips for a successful party

Super Bowl party
Super Bowl party

At 5:30 p.m on Feb. 5, millions of Americans will get together to watch the Atlanta Falcons take on the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI with their closest friends and family. 

This will be the Patriots’ ninth appearance in the Super Bowl. With four Super Bowl wins already recorded, many students at Mississippi State University are choosing to root for their opponent: The Falcons, who are making their second appearance in the super bowl and, if fate allows, their first win. 

Fifteen out of  20 students asked said they support the Atlanta Falcons; only two of those 15 students expressed annual loyalty to the team. The other 13 want to see the Falcons win the Super Bowl for the first time in history. 

Although the game is the main focus of the night, there are other games to be played and snacks to be made in order for a Super Bowl party to be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of the outcome of the game. 

Sometimes hosting a Super Bowl party can be more stress than it’s worth, so here are a few tips to make hosting the party more relaxing, carefree and fun for everyone. 

First and foremost, make sure there are a wide variety of snacks for everyone and they are not going to stain furniture and rugs. Buffalo wings are always a crowd favorite but tend to be very messy, and there is always one person who gets a little too excited; therefore, pizza and/or sliders are always a great alternative to avoid cleaning a stained couch later. 

Chips and dip, nachos, pigs in a blanket, veggie plates and cookies are always dependable and easy additions to make a party complete. 

Drinks are an essential part of the party; however, ice is easily forgotten in the mix of planning and cooking. Be sure to remember to pick up a few bags of ice and plenty of drinks to keep the party going. Two-liter sodas are always the cheapest option when hosting large amounts of guests. 

When grocery shopping, adding paper plates and bowls, plastic silverware and cups and napkins to the list will help with the post-party clean up. Instead of washing several dishes, just pull out the disposable cups and plates and throw them away when everyone has left. 

Although the game is the primary focus, the commercials played throughout the game can serve as great entertainment for guests. Commercial bingo is an easy way to entertain guests and keep them actively involved with the event. Bingo cards are easily accessible to print online and are filled with different phrases and subjects that are mentioned every year. 

Last but not least, prepare for more guests than expected. Nothing is more of a party foul than running out of seating or food because of lack of preparation. Prepare for more and there will be nothing to worry about during the game. 

Food Network provides a list of the 50 most popular Super Bowl snacks. Find their recipes at www.foodnetwork.com