Lacrosse seeks committed members for spring season

Today, lacrosse is regarded as the fastest growing sport in America, specifically in the southern region. 

Mississippi State caught on to the sport’s presence early on. The intramural sport was established on campus originally in 1971, but with issues with a concrete following and consistent flow of players, it was not until 2008 when the team made its permanent appearance on campus.

The team is led by Caleb Sachdev, a junior from Tupelo majoring in biomedical engineering. He is a six-year veteran and welcomes those who want to play with no experience and those with years under their belt. As lacrosse grows in the southern region, one of Sachdev’s main goals is to educate and spread the lacrosse culture amongst the Starkville community.

“I just want our community to know we’re here,” Sachdev said. “Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport and it seems like Mississippi isn’t picking up. We feel like it’s our duty to spread its culture in anyway.”

With an adamant presence of football, basketball and baseball in southern  culture, the club team does see outside forces that hinder their growth on campus. Public relations board member Joshua Peck, a seven-year veteran as a midfielder from Austin, Texas, understands that participating in one of the poorest states of the country could be another reason their jumpstart is rough.

“Because of Title IX, we must file both a men’s and women’s team,” Peck said. “Mississippi is one of the poorest states so I definitely think that may have something to do with its growth in state because lacrosse is not cheap.”

On average, the lowest an equipped lacrosse stick that has the basics to use during matches is $40, and without the school’s help in funding and strict spending for struggling college students, it is a hassle for club sports to suffice the necessary items to participate.

The club team shows a strong presence, competing amongst other southern teams in tournament-style competitions. Mississippi State’s lacrosse team competes in the Division II Deep South Conference of the National Collegiate Lacrosse League. They play against well known schools such as Mercer, UT-Chattanooga and Tennessee Tech in their respective divisions. Out-of-conference games are played against Divison I lacrosse teams such as Auburn, Alabama and LSU.

Their most successful run was in the 2014 Deep South Conference tournament, where they lost 2-1 against UAB in the championship. Since then, the team has trouble holding on to players with commitment.

“We try to attract players who are committed to the game who come here,” Sachdev said. “We have players from all over. We just don’t have kids who’ve had lacrosse be a dedicated sport.”

Sophomore Michael Gilbert, a Nashville native and chemical engineering major, discussed the issues of keeping players intrigued and dedicated as school work and the seasons begin to intertwine into their academic schedules.

“They’ll come and show up to practices,” Gilbert said. “But after so many, they’ll say their grades are suffering. We only practice two to three times a week but I understand.”

The trio wants to make sure their club has a set foundation before they graduate from Mississippi State. To avoid their past issues of being a consistent team, the current team wants to make sure their club shows itself to onlookers with professionalism and opportunities to play lacrosse.

“I just want make to sure the incoming freshmen have the same opportunities I have. I want us to keep the ball rolling to avoid leaving it in disarray.” Peck said. “I want it to be something established and welcoming.”

Despite all their adversities, the Mississippi State lacrosse club looks forward to the 2017 spring season and are excited to see more people seek interest to join in the growing sport. The club will open their spring season against rival UAB on Feb. 18 at UAB.