Legendary performance from Brent Rooker helps even series with Kentucky

Alayna Stevens | The Reflector

Rooker celebrates with his team. He hit three home runs and batted six runs in.

Legendary is the only way to describe the season Mississippi State University’s first baseman Brent Rooker is having, and on Saturday night he added on to that legend.  
Rooker, a junior from Germantown, Tennessee, hit not one, not two, but three home runs tonight, including a grand slam. His efforts helped No. 25 MSU (21-12, 7-4 SEC) even the weekend series against the No. 10 Kentucky Wildcats (22-10, 8-3 SEC) with a 10-6 victory. Rooker is the ninth player in MSU history to have three home runs in a game, the first since 2010. 
When asked about the night he was having, Rooker, in disbelief, gave his perspective on what was happening. 
“I don’t know what is going on, I’m just going to be honest with you guys,” Rooker said. “There is a lot of God happening right now and not a lot of Brent, for whatever reason he is blessing me with success right now and I don’t know why, I don’t the reason behind it, but I am enjoying it while it last.”
This game is one highlight in a spectacular season for Rooker. In this game he went 4-4 at the plate for three home runs, one grand slam, six RBIs and was intentionally walked once. His batting average is .447, he has 55 hits, 56 RBIs, 15 home runs, 18 doubles and a slugging percentage of 1.008. 
“What he is doing right now it so special, it is an honor to watch him hit every single day,” baseball head coach Andy Cannizaro said after the game. “We keep talking about how smart of a hitter he is, he processes information so well, he is not missing pitches, he is confident, he has a plan, he is executing his game plan right now to perfection. It really is one of the most special things I have seen a hitter do.”
Playing two midweek games and having the pitching staff wrecked by injuries, MSU looked to fielder Cole Gordon to start tonight’s game. Gordon, a sophomore from Tampa, Florida, pitched four innings and gave up four hits, three runs and issued three walks. He also struck out six of the 18 batters he faced. 
He pitched on a short rest because he was the starting pitcher for MSU’s Wednesday night victory over FIU. Gordon said his arm felt good, even after starting earlier in the week and going four innings on Saturday night. 
“Surprisingly, this is the best it has ever felt,” Gordon said. “Usually it gets a little sore, but I don’t know maybe it was the hype, maybe it was the game, but my arm felt really good today.”
Besides Gordon and Rooker, the standout players were Cody Brown, a senior from Biloxi, who hit a home run and Peyton Plumlee, a sophomore from Olive Branch, Mississippi. Plumlee pitched two inning in relief and gave up one hit and struck out one batter. 
Riley Self closed out the game on the pitcher’s mound. Self, a freshman from Coldwater, Mississippi, gave up one hit and struck out three batters in the ninth inning. 
MSU will play for the series tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is set for 1 p.m., center fielder and leadoff hitter Jake Mangum will take the mound as the Sunday starter.