Imposter syndrome: More common for college students than you might think

I started my college experience in fall 2012, eager and fresh out of high school. Being a first generation college student, as well as the first of my siblings, I put a lot of pressure on myself and had high expectations. 

For the first few years of my undergrad career, I was constantly worried I was not good enough to really succeed. I was worried I would flunk out and never achieve the goals I set for myself. 

However, I graduated with a good GPA in two majors and two minors. I was so proud of myself, and I knew I was capable of anything I put my mind to. Graduate school was my next step, and I was nothing but excited for it.

As this year has progressed, though, I have realized all of those insecurities I felt during my undergraduate career still exist. I have found myself in panic attacks over papers and presentations, having the same dreams of failing exams, and feeling like I am faking everything I am doing.

According to psychologists Pauline Clance and Suzanne Imes, this feeling is called impostor syndrome. They describe it as a feeling of phoniness in people who think they are not smart or capable of high achievement, but in reality are very motivated to achieve. 

Impostor syndrome is common in college students. In fact, it is common among the general population. According a study by the International Journal of Behavioral Science, 70 percent of people feel like they are impostors or frauds.

Even knowing that this feeling is common–especially in college students—does not personally make it easier to cope with. There is still this idea that no one else in my program is experiencing the feelings of fakeness that I am. This is not at all true, and I have to remind myself of this all the time. 

According to the American Psychological Association, there are a few important ways to cope with impostor syndrome. You must recognize you are not perfect and cannot expect perfect results from yourself every time, and remember and celebrate the things you do well often. You should also reach out to others, especially mentors, about the feelings you have. 

I am constantly reminding myself I am doing a good job and it is okay if I make a mistake or let life get in the way. I am human and I know these insecurities I have are just a side effect of my successes.

Impostor syndrome may not seem like a big deal, but it can take an emotional toll. Do not be afraid to ask for help or reach out to others. You are not alone.