Chew on this: Glazed Salmon recipe

Glazed Salmon

Ingredients:

1/2cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed

1/4cup water

2tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

2teaspoons packed brown sugar

2teaspoons cornstarch

2teaspoons toasted sesame oil

1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper

4 (5ounce) fresh or frozen salmon fillets, thawed

1/2teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions:

1.For glaze, in small saucepan combine pineapple juice, water, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil and red pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.

2.Preheat broiler on high. Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray and line baking sheet with foil. Rinse salmon and pat dry. Place fillets, skin-side-down on prepared sheet. Drizzle salmon with a few tablespoons glaze; sprinkle with black pepper. Broil 4 inches from heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Place salmon on serving plates and drizzle with remaining glaze. Top with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper.

This salmon recipe is sweet with a savory kick, and you can make it as spicy as you want. This recipe is great on the wallet. If you play your cards right, the dollar store sells boneless salmon fillets, but the chances of them having salmon are hit or miss. If you really want to go cheap, you can grab a couple extra soy sauce packets the next time you grab sushi. Worst case scenario for this recipe: You have to spend a couple more bucks to buy the fish at a grocery store for $10, and just cook the amount of fish you need—the rest can be refrozen. This recipe is incredibly versatile—you can have it with anything from pasta, mashed potatoes, salad, or veggies. This week, I made it with frozen vegetables that took less than 10 minutes to make. Now, depending on what you want to do, you could actually cook some vegetables in the same pan as the fish—you’ll need to check the directions on whatever side you have first. You’ll have quite a bit of sauce left after cooking. I recommend reserving a bit for after they come out of the oven. In addition to that, you might want to save some sauce for leftovers or for your sides. This recipe won’t break the bank and is relatively healthy.