Theta Tau presents second annual Theta Talks

The Kappa Beta chapter of Theta Tau, a professional engineering fraternity at Mississippi State University, is partnering with The Bagley College of Engineering to host it’s second annual “Theta Talks” event from 6-8 p.m. on March 28 in the Dorman Hall auditorium. 
Beginning in October 2016, Theta Talks is a lecture series consisting of 10-15 minute presentations from multiple speakers.  However, attendance for this event is expected to rise from the audience of 250 people in October, to 300 people.
The theme, “Tomorrow Builders: The Future Starts Now,” gives presenters the opportunity to elaborate on a specific field of study where they have worked, one they are currently involved in, or one they show genuine interest in. Each speaker’s presentation will show a road map featuring where the engineering field is now, and where the speaker thinks it is, or could be, headed in the future. 
This year’s panel consists of Gates Cambridge Scholar Lucas Ferguson, who is a MSU microbiology and biochemistry student, MSU’s improvisational troupe, Labrats Comedy, Political Science and Public Administration Professor Dr. Jerry Emison, Jeffrey Rupp, director of outreach for MSU’s College of Business, and Dr. Lakiesha Claude Williams, a biomedical engineer. 
Similar to this year’s line-up, last semester’s Theta Talk also focused on speakers from MSU faculty, staff, alumni and students. However, in the future, speakers may be on a more national scale.  
Cristy Gerth, professional development head of Theta Tau, said the purpose of this event is to educate people on a diverse scale. 
“We have and will always feature speakers from all walks of life and all majors,” Gerth said. “Even though we are an engineering fraternity, business, entertainment, ethics, and philosophy are still very important topics to discuss.”
Gerth said she would like to see Theta Talks continue as an annual event sponsored by the local community, faculty and students of MSU and still in partnership with The Bagley College of Engineering. 
 The event is free and open to the public. Engineer or not, students of all majors are encouraged to come and expand their horizons.