Club Spotlight: Gamers’ Guild

The Mississippi State University Gamers’ Guild puts on events that give MSU students who enjoy video games to come together and participate in events centered around their favorite games of the past or present.

On Saturday, members of the MSU Gamers’ Guild and other students took part in a 12 hour “gaming marathon” during which students competed in several tournaments and played a wide variety of games with each other.

Many members of the Gamers’ Guild found the group when looking for people to play some of their favorite games with and members of the Gamers’ Guild executive team are no different. MSU Gamers’ Guild President Joseph Brummet first became involved in the Gamers’ Guild when he was looking for a place where he could play one of his favorite games at Mississippi State.

“I wanted to take part in some Pokemon tournaments and we didn’t have Pokemon tournaments anywhere,” Brummet said. “So, one thing lead to another and now I’m the President of the Gamers’ Guild.”

Melvin Cook, current vice president and president for the 2017-2018 academic year, was also first attracted to the Gamers’ Guild by a desire to find other students with whom he could play one of his favorite games.

“Someone told me about the Gamers’ Guild because they played Smash Bros., which was a game I had just started to play, and so it was a nice place to meet new people,” Cook said.

Cook became more involved when he saw the opportunity to use some of his skills to the benefit of the Gamers’ Guild.

“Originally, I came on because they needed someone to help with streaming and I knew how to stream, so I decided to help out with that,” Cook said. “I became more and more involved from there.”

The Gamers’ Guild holds a weekly meeting at 7 pm on Thursdays in McCool 130, which any students are welcome to attend. Students can bring their own console and games to the weekly meeting to play if there is a particular game they would like to play.

While the weekly meetings are focused on casual gaming, the Gamers’ Guild also host competitive events.

“We have scheduled tournaments in Madden, NBA 2K, Pokemon, Smash Bros., Street Fighter and other games,” Brummet said.

Brummet said the group’s next tournament will be an Overwatch tournament taking place on April 7 in McCain Hall. 

Before the Overwatch tournament the MSU Gamers’ Guild will also be involved in this year’s Tupelo Comic Con, which will be held at the Tupelo Furniture Market on April 1 and 2, where they will be putting on Pokemon and Smash Bros. tournaments.

Brummet said he hopes the group will continue to promote sportsmanship and healthy interactions between gamers while putting on a wide variety of events centered around games of all different genres. 

“We want to, in the future, pay for people to go to big tournaments and help with other things,” Brummet said.

Cook would also like to see the group be able to grow and do more in the future.

“I want the club to try to go to larger things, host even bigger events, and hopefully get more companies involved,” Cook said.