Work on campus buildings Continues

Mississippi State University has recently begun undergoing another wave of campus construction.
    University architect Tim Muzzi said as the university increases enrollment, more housing will be needed. MSU is constructing a new residence hall between Rice Hall and McComas Hall in the southeast part of campus.
    “The new residence hall is being constructed to help meet the present housing needs of the university,” he said.
    Muzzi said the project is funded by EBC Bonds, will cost approximately $16 million and is scheduled for completion before the 2010-2011 school year.
    Construction began July and will be completed in July 2010.
    “Bob Luke is the architect [and] Harrell Construction Group is the contractor,” he said.
    MSU most recently announced the construction of a NCAA indoor practice facility which will be built adjacent to the Humphrey Coliseum. Muzzi said the practice facility is funded by private donors.
    “[The facility should] be completed in fall of 2010,” he said. “Construction cost is unavailable at this time.”
    He said there are many needs on the campus and the projects seek to meet those needs including remodeling the historic buildings at MSU.
    “It [is] our goal to better the physical environment and make the best use of the funding that we are able to secure in a responsible way,” he said. “At present, we have 18 buildings on campus that are Mississippi landmark buildings.”
    Those buildings are protected by the Department of Archives and History, and Muzzi said they cannot be demolished and/or altered in any way without the department’s permission.
    “Our only option is to renovate the facilities,” Muzzi said. “Also, let me add that everything we do in renovations and in new facilities is done with the health, safety and welfare of our students, visitors, faculty and staff in mind.”
    He said Harned Hall and Lloyd Ricks are both Mississippi landmark buildings. Both are currently being remodeled.
    “These facilities were in desperate need of renovation in order to meet today’s codes,” he said. “The buildings were deteriorating at a rapid rate. If these facilities are to remain in service major renovations were required.”
    The renovation to Lloyd Ricks, located adjacent to The Junction and Davis Wade Stadium, is being funded by the state of Mississippi and will cost approximately $9 million, Muzzi said.
    “The building was built in 1929, [and] the construction began in the spring of 2009 and will be completed for fall of 2010,” he said.
    Muzzi said the Harned Hall renovations will cost $10.5 million and are also funded by the state of Mississippi. The building was built in 1921 and underwent its most recent expansion in the ’70s.
    He said some of the construction projects have been in the planning for some time – some as long as five years.
    Muzzi said a $7 million office building is also being constructed in the Thad Chochran Research Park, which should be completed in June 2010.
    “The new office building in the Research Park is being constructed to meet the research needs for facilities. Research is one of the primary missions of the university.”
    He said the office building project is being funded by the federal government.
    “. Funding these projects [comes] basically from five sources, projects funded by the State of Mississippi, EBC Bonds (Educational Building Corporation), private donations, Federal funding and University funds,” Muzzi said.
    Mike Harris, Parking Services director, said construction will not be a large impediment to parking for students.
    “We have been very fortunate not to lose a lot of parking because of the construction,” Harris said. “Currently, it is not affecting us a lot, though we added a gravel lot to offset what is currently fenced off. We are happy not to lose any space,” he said.
    Harris said he asks students and faculty to be patient during this time of growth for the university.
    “Everyone needs to be understanding and be patient with your fellow students and colleagues,” he said. “My best advice is to leave early to come on campus and get where you need to go; just give it patience.”
    Students have shown mixed reactions to the construction on campus.
    Sophomore mechanical engineering major Kevin Jarrell said the construction has not interfered with his daily activities.
    “I have not been inconvenienced by it,” Jarrell said.