Campaign works for discounted MSU colors

The Student Association’s “Maroon and White” program gives broke college students a much needed discount on clothes while boosting Dawg spirit.
    The program works with retailers around campus and Starkville to offer discounts on maroon and white apparel.
    Libbo Haskins and Price Davis, co Directors of history and tradition for the student association cabinet said she wanted the program to encourage pride in Mississippi State.
    “It’s almost a sort of lifestyle,” Haskins said. “If you go to a Tennessee or LSU game you’ll see everyone decked out in orange or purple and gold.”
    According to Haskins, the new program already has 13 stores participating, including The Lodge, George Sherman, Runway Boutique, Reeds, Ella Boutique and Barnes & Noble.
    There is a 10 percent minimum discount. It ranges from store to store, with some stores having as much as 25 percent off.
    “Students enjoy a discount on anything, and we just want to see them more involved,” Davis said. “We may not make a huge impact this year, but we think we’ve taken a big step.”
    The popularity of the program is already apparent, fitting perfectly with Dan Mullen’s Maroon Pride and Rick’s Rowdies.
    “They’re so passionate to change MSU Athletics that Maroon and White and their programs just combine in a positive way.” Haskins said.
    Student Association President Blake Jeter also weighed in on the growing popularity of the program.
    “I have continued to get nothing but rave reviews and comments from faculty and staff. They love that they are included because they are an integral part of our university,” Jeter said. “They love the idea of supporting our athletic programs through school spirit and getting some incentive to do so.”
    This year is a trial run for the campaign, but with the enthusiastic response from local businesses it may be expanded beyond the original plan.
    “The idea came about in the SA as we were looking at more ways to promote school spirit and Maroon and White. Every year we look in the junction and in the stadium and see people wearing green or blue or black,” Jeter said. “So, we wanted to give them some incentive to go out and purchase more clothing.”
    Students should be aware these discounts range from a maroon or white dress you might find in a boutique on Main Street to the MSU shirts, jackets and even hats at Barnes & Noble.
    The program will continue from now until the end of football season.
    “I think it would be great to expand to other sports.” Haskins said, “We’re just waiting to see the results.”
    Even businesses Haskins and David did not think would be interested have asked to come on board. With money always tight on a college campus, someone would be hard pressed to find a problem with this initiative.
    “We want to encourage all students, alumni and faculty to wear their maroon and white and wear it proudly,” Jeter said.