Student numbers increase for 2009

Mississippi State has shown yet another year of increased enrollment, raising the number of students at the state’s largest university to 18,601.
    The enrollment number is a 4.4 percent increase over last year’s enrollment of over 17,824.
    Of this year’s students, 17,900 are enrolled at the Starkville campus and 700 are enrolled at the Meridian campus.
    Vice President for Student Affairs Bill Kibler said the University has been preparing for continuous growth over the past three years.
    Over the years, Barnes & Noble has been opened, the Union has been renovated with a size increase and the Sanderson was modified to handle larger demands. More recently, a new dining hall has opened in the Templeton Building and a new food operation, Pizza Village, will open in Griffis Hall this fall.
    “We have increased the number of new faculty positions at the University, particular focus on high growth academic programs,” Kibler said. “We are building a new 350-bed residence hall to accommodate the increased demand for on-campus housing.”
    Housing and Residence Life Director Ann Bailey said an Occupancy Management Team was created to review numbers and the pace of enrollment versus occupancy in residence halls.
    “We know what the university’s enrollment goals are several years out, and we adjust our bed spaces accordingly,” she said.
    Kibler said MSU will attempt, within the constraints of a very tight budget, to add faculty positions where they are most needed.
    “That may require re-allocation of faculty positions in addition to adding new ones,” he said. “We will also continue to evaluate what changes need to be made in campus services and programs to accommodate the growth, such as parking, bus transportation, dining, security and recreation.”
    Student Association President Blake Jeter said the SA is already seeing the effects of adapting to a growing student population.
    He said the amount of students applying to participate in SA has almost doubled since last year.
    Jeter said MSU will have to make changes and adapt as the growth continues, but the rewards will be well worth the effort.
    “Growing our student population not only helps us try and outrun some of our short-term budget problems, but it also sends a great message to the state that we are willing and able to serve Mississippi and move our state forward,” he said.
    Commissioner of Higher Education Hank Bounds said the IHL is doing its part to maintain the current growth.
    “The Board of Trustees is working now to develop a strategic vision, mission and goals for the entire system,” he said. “Producing more and better graduates will be one of the cornerstones of that plan.”
    The higher salaries that come with having a college degree can act as an incentive to continue on to a higher education, especially during a suffering economy.
    “Enrollment has increased across the system since 1994,” he said. “This steady increase can partially be attributed to a growing awareness among the general public that continuing education beyond secondary grades is important.”