MSU silent auction to help benefit the United Way

Mississippi State’s first silent auction, GET IN THE GAME, supporting the United Way began Monday and will run until Friday in the Colvard Union providing unique prizes to bidders.
    Many university faculty, staff and departments have donated goods and services for other staff members and students to bid on. All proceeds will be donated to the United Way.
    Senior human resources generalist Leslie Corey said there are multiple prizes available.
    “The division chairs with United Way came up with the idea,” Corey said. “We have 58 wonderful things being offered – from lunch with Dan Mullen, lunch with Dr. Ruby, coffee with Greg Bryne, bridge lessons, lessons from coaches, homemade quilts and several homemade cakes.”
    Lynne Richardson, College of Business dean, said she likes the items being offered and she thinks a few in particular will be hits.
    “My personal favorites are things like coffee with athletic director Greg Byrne, [and] a garden tour with Jack McCarty, director of development in the College of Business and rose expert,” Richardson said. “I also have a life-size cardboard Elvis Presley in my office donated by retired faculty Kirk Arnett which someone will enjoy.”
    Christi Sanders, women’s golf coach and athletic department chairperson for the United Way, said it will be fun and exciting to see who wins what prizes.
    “There is a little of something for everyone at the auction,” Sanders said. “Dan Mullen, along with Greg Byrne, Sharon Fanning and many other coaches were very supportive and willing to give their time and services in unique ways to help raise money for the cause.”
    Sanders also said athletic department officials understand how important the United Way is to the community. She said the community supports the university very much and the university should give back support.
    “It is a nice gesture for the selected individuals to make time spent with them a special outing for folks in our community,” Sanders said.
    While there are some extraordinary items to bid on, there are even greater reasons for MSU to support the United Way. The funds raised by MSU students, staff and faculty will be used to better the community.
    Richardson said she encourages the MSU campus to participate in the United Way campaign because it is important to many aspects of the community.
    “Go give to programs that support youth, the elderly, animals and the disadvantaged,” Richardson said. “It’s just good for our community to have strong programs in these areas.”
    Longest Student Health Center administrator Robert Cadenhead said the funds the university produces will be combined with community contributions to fund about 20 United Way agencies that provide services to people in need throughout the community.
    Cadenhead said some of the organizations the funds will directly affect include the Boys and Girls Club, American Red Cross, Fatherless Children Ministry and the Humane Society.
    “The MSU goal for this year is $15,000, which is a large part of the community goal of $400,000,” Cadenhead said.
    Sanders said the United Way is a good organization to support because they help so many people in many different situations.
    “In some form or fashion, you know someone who has gotten support from one of the United Way agencies or will in the future,” Sanders said.
    Items up for auction will be on display in the Colvard Student Union next to Starbucks from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily and until 2 p.m. on Friday. Students should bring their MSU IDs to bid.
    For more information on MSU’s involvement with United Way, visit unitedway.msstate.edu.