Wednesday night brings Galactic

There are indefinite reasons to love New Orleans. From the food to the Mardi Gras celebration to Hurricane and Hand Grenade cocktails, the Big Easy has supplied us with things we could, but should not, live without.
    Included in that list is the five-man band Galactic, and in case the band’s funk-filled tunes have not yet reached your ears, you can experience the band with Mike Dillon’s Go Go Jungle at State Theatre Wednesday night.
    The group began as a no-gimmicks funk jam band but has evolved to include more electronic beats and multi-genre elements in its sound since the release of Coolin’ Off in 1998.
    The group’s sixth and most recent album, 2007’s From the Corner to the Block, focuses more heavily on each band member’s musical talents. In other words, the band returned to its roots as an predominately instrumental band.
    Joining Galactic’s drummer Stanton Moore, bassist Robert Mercurio, saxophonist/harmonica player Ben Ellman, keyboardist Richard Vogel and guitarist Jeff Raines on From the Corner to the Block is an elite group of hip-hop mastermind lyricists including Juvenile, Lyrics Born and Jurassic 5’s Mr. Lif and Chali 2na.
    The collaborations resulted in a sound standing perfectly at the intersection of hip-hop and New Orleans’ funky jazz.
    Galactic tested its audiences’ approval of the new sound at 2007’s Bonnaroo and received hearty waves of acceptance from old and new fans.
    Whether you have seen the band perform with former lead singer Theryl “Houseman” DeClouet in the Ruckus days or more recently as a predominately instrumental band with a splash of hip-hop artists, Galactic’s live performances are something which can only be experienced first-hand.
    It might seem as though the show would quickly become uninteresting with little to no vocals involved, but you can rest assured there is nothing boring about them as long as you enjoy white-hot horns with a side of funky bass beats.
    Whether you are more of a Ruckus fan, the 2003 album heavy with DeClouet’s voice, or a Coolin’ Off fan, there is hardly any reason for any Galactic fan to miss Wednesday’s show.
    Jazz fans contemplating attending the show should be warned this is not your grandpa’s jazz music. In fact, Filter magazine said “this digitized voodoo funk makes the Meters look like the god—-ed glee club.”
    Typically at Galactic shows, at least those in New Orleans’ Tipitina’s venue, there is a kaleidoscope of lights flashing and swarming through the room.
    There is something about a light show which makes audiences, both the sober and hallucinating, dig deeper into their funky souls and let loose on the dance floor.
    So, if you’re itching for a taste of New Orleans and can’t make the trip, get to State Theatre Wednesday night and get your fill of the city’s musical flavor.
    For more information on Galactic, visit galacticfunk.com. Tickets for the show can be purchased at starkvillestatetheatre.com.