University building signs get a facelift

In a continuing effort to beautify the Mississippi State University landscape, newly updated signs are popping up on campus which will more clearly mark university buildings.
    The construction of Cullis Wade Depot created a new standard of signs.
    “Since then, we’ve slowly tried to update the signs throughout campus,” associate director of campus landscaping Roger Baker said.
    There were also other reasons for changing out the signs. Baker said large deposits of mold often grew in the old signs.
    Tim Muzzi, university architect and associate director of Architectural Planning and Construction, said the old signs were developing issues.
    “The old signs had wood infills which continues to rot, causing a maintenance problem,” Muzzi said.
    The new signs are sturdy, low maintenance signs designed to better identify the building, Muzzi said.
    He said the Drill Field is currently the main focus, but as the project progresses, the signs will continue to be put up.
    Baker said the new signs are more functional.
    “The new sign’s lettering is easy to move and easy to replace if a department changes to a new building,” he said.
    Freshman physical education major Jessica Dougan said the old signs also were not as visually appealing, and many on campus believe the new ones are much better.
    “The signs stand out more and make the campus look up to date,” Dougan said.
    Freshman pre-business major Arrington Rhett said the new signs are more appropriate for the campus.
    “The signs modernly match the buildings. They’re easier to read and definitely worth the money spent,” Rhett said.
    Freshman social work major Hannale Hylander said she thinks this is a good step for MSU.
    “They are a good thing for campus because they all look the same,” Hylander said. “They’re easier for those new to campus.”
    The signs have been in design for a couple of years, Muzzi said. There were many stages to decide which would be the best. The entrance signs to campus served as a template.
    There were several people from campus landscaping who helped in the design.
    Muzzi said one of the goals was to match the architecture on campus.
    “Once there was a consensus on the design, we took it to the different departments on the Drill Field for their blessing,” Baker said.
    Some students said they believe the signs fit better into the design on campus than the older signs.
    Economics major Andrew Sessoms said the signs are a nice touch to MSU.
    “The signs are more modern and fit nicely into the atmosphere that they are put in,” he said.
    Freshman aerospace engineering major Brooke Goree said she likes the new signs better than the previous signs.
    “The signs are a good investment to replace old outdated signs,” Goree said.
    Some students, however, disagree and believe they do not fit in with the architecture found on campus.
    Aerospace engineering major Philip Johnson said he thinks the new signs are out of place.
    “They don’t match the buildings but match other elements on campus,” Johnon said.
    Baker said overall the signs were well received.
    “We’re very pleased with them. We are still tweaking little things that we are looking at changing over time,” Baker said.
    In addition to the signs, Muzzi said campus landscaping is also looking at projects to soften entrances to buildings. He said all in all, projects are in continuous motion to increase campus beauty.