Hailing from Romania, Volleyball player provides leadership

Down 0-2 with match point for Eastern Michigan at 22-24, the game appeared to be over for the Mississippi State volleyball team in 2009’s Bulldog Invitational.
    EMU served as the crowd anxiously awaited the outcome. With a long rally, EMU set up an assist and kill, which appeared to be the game-winning shot as howls and cheers echoed throughout Newell-Grissom from the EMU sideline.
    The ball launched into the air from a miraculous dig by junior middle blocker Ashley Newsome, keeping MSU a foot away from losing. The rally continued as sophomore opposite hitter Caitlin Rance set up senior outside hitter Ioana Demian for the Mortal Combat-esqe “Finish him” kill shot, sending the players into a frenzy and giving the team the momentum to finish off EMU in a 3-2 decision.
    For Demian, the kill was one of 20 that night. For her teammates, it was a testament to the kind of leadership and determination Demian brings each time she steps on the court.
    Born in Maia Mare, Romania, Demian is the lone international athlete on the 2009 MSU volleyball team and one of two seniors. With the help of her father, Demian began playing at the age of 10 with a few practices a week.
    “My dad was a professional rugby player, and he really wanted me to play volleyball and was obsessed with the idea of me playing,” she said. “When I started playing, I started liking it a lot.”
    Jozef Forman, a former assistant coach with MSU volleyball from Bonyhad, Hungary, was in Europe as Demian played at the prep level and had connections with her coach, Horea Ardelean.
    “(Forman) saw me play in Europe, made a tape, sent it to America and they offered me a scholarship,” Demian said.
    Prior to her freshman year in August of 2006, Demian had never visited the United States. Having learned English from watching cartoons as a kid and studying it in high school, her main state-side challenge was adjusting to a new environment.
    “I already had the basic technique,” she said. “It was about getting used to new players and the style because it was a little bit different.”
    As a freshman, Demian was listed as an outside hitter; but when junior middle blocker Lauren Kowal went out with an injury, Demian had to quickly learn the position in Kowal’s absence. She went on to play in 17 of MSU’s 30 matches that season.
    Demian was named the team’s Most Valuable Player following spring drills leading into her sophomore year and was named the team’s MVP of 2008 as a junior.
    Entering her senior year, Demian is a three-year letter winner and two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection. She is also on pace to become only the 10th Bulldog to reach the 1,000 kill mark.
    Head coach Jenny Hazelwood and assistant coaches Lindi Bankowski and Brandon Higa recognized Demian’s leadership qualities early in spring drills.
    “There’s a certain mold that coaches think of these foreign players, and she’s blown all those molds away,” Higa said. “She’s been really unselfish and willing to step up and lead and willing to communicate. She’s really transcended all that and is a role model.”
    Hazelwood said she believes Demian brings great balance to the team and demonstrates what it is to be a go-to player.
    “They are going to look for her a lot,” she said. “She’s pretty well-rounded and very competitive, and that’s something younger players can look for.”
    Looking past the season, Demian isn’t sure of whether to pursue a volleyball career in the U.S., which would require a beach style of play, or go home. Set to graduate in May, she is looking to earn a degree in photography.
    Season recap:
    MSU (4-13, 0-6 SEC) began the season 4-7 in pre-SEC play but has since dropped six straight matches against SEC foes, including losses to 18-straight SEC champion Florida and SEC West-leading LSU.
    A young Bulldog team brings inexperience and some inconsistent play at times while a strong mindset has been difficult to establish.
    The team has shown potential in situations when down but has come up short more often than not despite solid finishes.
    Despite having only two seniors and three juniors, leadership has not been hard to come by. With freshman and sophomores seeing plenty of playing time, experience will be a major asset for MSU volleyball in coming seasons.
    The Bulldogs’ SEC opponents have compiled an overall combined record of 60-31 (21-13 in SEC).
    No. 6 Florida and No. 10 Kentucky represent the SEC as the only teams in the National Top 25, with LSU close to entering the top-25 poll.
    MSU is lead by seniors Dorey Gray and Ioana Demian while junior Ashley Newsome is a mainstay for the Bulldogs at the net.
    Gray is eighth in the SEC, averaging 5.88 assists per set; Newsome is 10th in kills with 3.11 per set and junior Kayla Woodard is fifth in digs with 4.06 per set.
    The Bulldogs are set to play at Ole Miss today at 7 p.m. and will travel to Arkansas for a 1:30 p.m. match Sunday.