Students warned to watch for burglaries

Authorities are warning students to be vigilant following an increase in burglaries on the Mississippi State University campus.
    Sophomore political science major Bailey Smith said she recently had her bike stolen.
    “My lock had recently broken, though I made some effort to disguise it. They just took my bike though. It is neon pink,” Smith said.
    She said she has taken some precautionary methods to prevent future theft.
    “I have bought a reinforced lock to deter future crime,” Smith said.
    Freshman political science major William Morgan said he was also the victim of theft in his dorm room.
    “I had a few DVDs stolen from my room, though it could have been much worse,” he said.
    Morgan said he has also become more cautious in regards to his belongings.
    “I have started to not let as many people in my room, and I have started locking it more,” Morgan said.
    MSU Police Chief Georgia Lindley said the increase in theft is not at all uncommon during this time of the year.
    “We generally see an increase in burglaries in the fall semester, so it is not much of a difference from years past,” she said.
    Lindley also said students should be proactive if they are the victims of theft.
    “Report it to the police office; anything stolen should be reported,” Lindley said.
    She also said she urges students to take the initiative in their own actions to prevent theft as well.
    “Lock your doors, park in lighted areas and report suspicious people,” she said.
    Lindley said the MSU Police Department is taking measures to prevent crimes like burglary on campus.
    “We try to do educational programs in the residence halls. We are having a stronger police presence on campus,” she said. “Police presence is good.”
    Lindley said the university needs more student help in crime prevention on campus.
    “There are a lot more students than police; we need your help even if something is minor,” she said. “Please report suspicious activity to us.”
    Dean of students Thomas Bourgeois said his office takes the recent burglaries very seriously.
    “This is one of the hardest things to deal with from a trust standpoint,” he said. “We want our students and their belongings to be safe; it is a partnership.”
    Bourgeois said students need to be vigilant in protecting their belongings.
    “Ninety percent of these crimes are preventable by locking your room door, car door or whatever,” he said.
    Bourgeois said there are avenues which could help to compensate students who have been victimized by crime.
    “There is state assistance for victims of crime, and there are sometimes funds available,” he said.
    Bourgeois said students should watch over their items and work with the university and its officials to deter future crime.
    “Be proactive; hindsight is 20/20,” he said. “If you see suspicious characters, please report them to the proper authorities.”