Emerging from small-town Mississippi, Johnthan Banks makes big-time impact

Mississippi State freshman free safety Johnthan Banks is currently tied for the SEC lead in interceptions with four. Coming into the season, he had to be one of the least likely candidates to reach such a high level of play. Banks’ road to success has been a path less traveled. He lost his father when he was 8 and his grandfather at 16, leaving his grandmother Maggie to raise him.
    “I don’t think that most people would want to or could live through the things I’ve been through,” Banks said. “Through the grace of God and support from family, coaches and friends, I made it through everything.”
    Banks’ story starts in Maben – a town with a population of 803 people located on the corner of Oktibbeha and Webster counties. Banks’ high school, East Webster, cannot be located with a GPS.
    He, however, cherishes his little hometown.
    “Everybody knows everybody. It’s a lovely little town. I wouldn’t trade living in Maben for anything,” Banks said. “When I’m at home, everyone comes to see me, which is great. I love my little town.”
    Being from a small town, Banks has picked up some rural skills that have caught media attention along side his rise to notoriety. He is an avid horse rider, which prompted ESPN announcers to claim Banks used to ride a horse to school.
    Banks has since cleared up the rumor.
    “I ride horses, but I never rode a horse to school. If you come through Maben enough, you’ll probably see me riding a horse, so I guess that’s how the rumor came about,” Banks said.
    Banks’ position coach, Tony Hughes, further expounded on the safety’s hobby.
    “When I was calling to checkup with him throughout the [recruiting] process, sometimes at night he would be out riding horses when I called,” Hughes said. “It always tickled me. I’d ask him, ‘You’re riding horses and talking on the cell phone?'”
    Luckily for East Webster, Johnthan took a little time off from riding horses to play football, basketball and baseball.
    Banks led his high school baseball team to two state championships, started in basketball and started in football since the eighth grade.
    While at East Webster, Banks garnered national attention. He was rated a 3-star recruit (out of 5 stars) by Scout.com and was credited with being the No. 69 overall safety prospect. He also earned All-State honors from The Clarion Ledger. His high school coach, Jimmy Carden, has not met anyone as talented and humble as Banks.
    “Johnthan is just a great kid,” he said. “There really hasn’t been any replacing him this year. He plays so hard, and we knew just how special he was. He deserves everything he accomplishes.”
    East Webster’s finest continues his rise to the at MSU. He has played a major role in transforming MSU’s secondary, which has allowed zero touchdowns and only 150 passing yards per game the past three contests, which included a bout with No.1 Florida. During that span, Banks nabbed four interceptions, returning two for touchdowns against Florida’s Heisman quarterback Tim Tebow.
    After former starting safety Zach Smith was declared out for the season after a series of concussions, Banks was promoted to starting safety where he has started the previous three games and seems to have secured his spot. Hughes said he is not surprised by Banks’ progression.
    “We had some situations where we decided to bring some kids along and get them ready to play,” Hughes said. “He was one of those we thought could handle it because he came into camp very athletic and has a great work ethic.”
    Banks’ veteran teammate, defensive back Marcus Washington, has also been very impressed with Banks on and off the field.
    “He has really grown up. He has caught onto things very quickly, and he’s making plays back there,” Washington said. “He’s a guy you really like to be around. He takes care of his business on the field and off the field. Those are the guys we need on this team.”
    The fans agree. The day after the Florida game, Johnthan had 26 friend invitations on Facebook.
    Banks insists the attention will not change him. He said he will continue to work hard on his road to success.
    “I see my grandma struggling everyday. I play football for her and for my family,” Banks said. “I see her struggling, doing it on her own and I knew I could too. I feel I’m old enough and mature enough to know my role on this team. I’ve just gotta keep working hard and get better.”